Jk drop down tailgate project

• After buying the swag off-road tailgate kit, I had an unfortunate event happen between my jeep, and my boat (boat trailer came off ball). So I no longer had a tailgate to use for the conversion. After pricing one out, I decided to use my experience with composites and make one. It's been a long project, but is nearing the stage where the old tailgate will be removed, and I will continue to work the prototype until my anal retentive mind is satisfied. The finished product will close me less than a new gate (not labor) and be what I wanted in the first place.

• the pictures are in reverse order. the first 2 pictures are the outer skin mocked up on the jeep. The third is the plug i made to make the tool. the fourth is the painted plug, once the body work was done. the 5th picture is the mold, that makes the outer skin. (and could make more for the right price)

i have a lot of work to do yet.. i have to design the latching/locking mechanism, support cable mounts. and build the internal support structure/skin to support my goal weight carrying capacity of 400-500LBS

• Nice, will that have the strength to support say 2 adults sitting ?

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Quick latch setup and it is now functional (still a way to go). Wrapped it in vinyl to blend it in a little.

• Debating on just making carbon fiber blanking plates, or calling zach for some AtoZ magic.

Would be cool to make a attachment bracket that could hold a table and umbrella

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!