Ride Date Changed to original date on the 26th

• Quick trail report: ice!

It was @Stomper, @Down Hill Roller, @Buster Stewart, and me. We were told to avoid the west side, so where do you think we went first? Yes, and the west side was glare ice everywhere. When it's wet, the blues are like blacks, but when it's ice, the greens are like blacks. This "before" shot will give you some idea:

This was the shakedown run for my new tires and springs. Big tires don't do anything for you on ice. We slid all the way down Power Line, then turned right on 11. We did 23 where it's usually deep puddles--it was deep puddles full of broken six-inch-thick slabs of ice. Keith led. Where he drove into a puddle, the ice slabs would pile up between the front and rear wheels and stop all progress. He managed to break through, but I got my front diff buried in mud and, with no traction, had to be winched back by Downhill Roller. We mostly stuck to bypasses and finally made it back uphill to the east side, which was not nearly as bad.

We did Tatas, then decided to try a black trail, so we hit 5 headed toward Pole Line. Tim got hung up for a few minutes, but we made it through with few problems, although we avoided the big rocks at the end nearest Pole Line. We were back in the parking lot by 3:30, which was okay since we got an early start. It was a good day despite the ice--or because of it--with no trail damage except for a scratch or two on my shiny new wheels! Here's the after picture:

Karen says the pink mud makes it look like a manly Jeep trying to get in touch with its feminine side!

Next ride is February 16 at Rausch Creek. I can almost guarantee better conditions, so come on out!

• Looks like a fun time! I wish I could have been there. ||

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• It was an adventurous day to say the least. Going down hill with a little slip and slide here and there and keeping your distance in case you had to stop or slide to a stop quickly.... Fighting ice chucks in the mud holes added a whole new challenge to getting out. You basically had floating rocks that would pile up under the frame.

• Nice pictures!

Can someone do me a favor please... Drop me a line here (in a PM) the next time someone is going on one of these runs... I'd really enjoy going! ;)

1989 Wrangler (Islander package) [_]IIIII[_]
    SOA lift (I don't remember the specifics, sorry!)
    33x12.50"/15 BFG tires (I had these), OBA, CB
    Black American Racing AR767 wheels

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!