HELP!! stubborn pitman arm

• Trying to replace the pitman shaft seal. I leak almost a quart of PS fluid a week. I can't get the darn pitman arm off. Now I got a pitman arm puller stuck on the pitman arm and I can't even get that off. I'm stuck. I just went though 4 wrenches that I snapped just trying to remove the puller!!! I'm goint to borrow a impact wrench just to get the puller off. But how the heck do I get the arm off???

-Steve

• Try bigtime heat. You can buy a small Aceteline bottle torch at homey depot. Get it cherry red and then use the puller and an impact wrench
    Dont burn yourself.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• A large breaker bar works well in addition to the heat. You can even put a piece of pipe on the end of the bar to give you more leverage.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• thanks for the info!! thought i'd take a break and post an update. Here's what i did..........So the puller was stuck on the pitman arm. I broke many wrenches trying to get it off. I figured it would be easier to take care of the seal and try to get the puller off with the gear box off the jeep. Of course that wasn't as easy for me as it sounds. Trying to get the hoses off the gear box and pump was just taking too much of my time. Hoses cut! Got the gear box off. Couple of wacks with a tie rod fork and off comes the pitman arm and puller. I tried the fork while the gear box was still attached but I guess I just didn't have the right angle on the hammer while under the jeep. Ok so the arms off. The puller was usless and I have to replace my PS hoses. No biggie. But now i'm off to do what I set out to do. Replace the seal on the pitman shaft.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!