New shackle lift now have noise???

• I had a slight noise before but ater the 2" shackle lift, I now have pretty good metal on metal sounds coming from the leaf springs (not the shocks since I can jump on the bumer and no noise). From what I understand, it is probably the spacers (not sure if that is the correct term) in between each of the leaf springs :shrug: wearing thin. With out changing them or the entire leaf spring, is there some type of lube that can be applied to control this??? Thanks for the help!!!

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• Drove it yesterday (sunday) for a while and every bump was kinda bad! :doh: I am thinking I may have to find someone with stock leaf springs and swap out or maybe now do a 1.5 - 3" full suspension lift since that would replace the stock leaf spring packs and give me new shocks....I know Dr. J only 2" shackles and 31s :laughing:

Any thoughts on the noise? Lube to use? Tried WD40 and no help.

• kevin - i heard that wd-40 would almost worsen that sound. that is if the sound is coming from between the leaves. maybe a graphite-based lubricant? or molylube? (molybdenum disulfide). both seem like they would do the trick and won't disappear like wd-40 does.
    chris

• Thanks Chris - Will hit NAPA today. If that doesn't seem to fix it, it may be the 4" full suspension lift :tup: I think Steve sabotaged :yevil: mine just so he can get my shackles since they are 1/4" longer than his. :laughing:

• Another possibility :shrug: This came off the Q-Tech BB..."torque specs for the shackles are 95 ft-lbs. on the spring side, 105 ft-lbs. on the frame side". :shrug:

Dr. J - May need to borrow your torque wrench!!!!!

• Chris - Thanks for the info! :up: I hit the leaf springs with some graphite based lube...seems to have taken away much of the noises on bumps but still getting some when I turn on an incline/decline...I will drive it a bit and then hit it again to make sure it is worked into the cracks good!

Steve - Thanks for the offer for Thur evening but we are off to the beach (anniversary)...took Friday off and am planning on having some cold ones at DogFish and Rams Head before venturing into Dewey.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions and assistance...that is why I joined the club :up: :rollsmile:

• :hmm: :doh: At NAPA on the corner of Loockerman and New? Not sure what kind...3 letters, white can, liquid spray...on shelf against left wall, about eye height.

Found Parts # on receipt: 765-1412. $6.82

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!