fabing an intake and have a few questions

• what filter will get me more power the cone or the drop in i have the 4 banger so ever little bit helps and is thier an advatage to one or the other? :shrug: just asking cause i need a new one to i am going to up grade just not sure what one yet

i also was wondering if it would be a good idea to put a hole in the shroud to channel some of the air at the air filter or would this be a bad thing to do? I just know that cold air gives hp and that air is pretty cold being sucked through the radiator considering the temp of the engine.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• sort of depends upon what sort of driving you plan on doing chris. if you think you'll be sticking to rocks - then i think either filters would work fine. the factory setup may not get as much flow to it...but it tends to pull in slightly cooler air than a conical setup. but about the fan shroud...i'd shy away from that. since you don't have a fan that can be shut down manually for when you do water crossings you'll be kicking up water the second you hit the deep stuff. that water that's being thrown around will just be more likely to get channelled towards that intake tube of your factory air box. let me know if you decide to go the conical filter route - i can give you a hand if you'd like.
    chris

• The TJ's airbox breathes pretty good, at least up to 3500 rpm or so, past that who really cares except someone trying to sell filter kits that produced 2.45 extra HP at 5334 rpm on the dyno.

Save your money.

• Putting a cone filter on really isn't going to make a difference in your performance. The jeep computer can only use so much air and adding more isn't going to change that. When I had my 4 banger I tried the Throttle body spacer, the cone filter, the Cat-back exhaust and nothing really amounted to a hill of beans when it came to power. A jeep is nothing more than a brick on wheels so seat of your pants performance is not going to be it's strong point especially with 4 mighty squirrels running the show.

• Hey,

I was thinking about upgrading a little bit ago, more power would be nicer. I was thinking along the lines of chip, intake, throttle body, thermostat, exhaust. I have the 4.0, so are you saying it probably won't make much of a difference or is that just for the 2.5? The upgrades I was thinking of are a little more than what was previously mentioned, but I'm just wondering.

The only thing that's prevented me from doing this is money. It's a bit of change to do all of it, (and if I wanted to go further could always go with a better cam and even compression) but in the end I still have a I-6. Not bashing the motor, from the factory I think it's great and plenty for a Jeep. But for more power, I just think it'd be better to be working on a better platform, like a V-8. Small Block Chevy would suit me fine. Not only that but I'm not ready to completely re-vamp my Jeep.

I'm a rookie when it comes to this, havn't done much work around the block before, but I've done a little research. Putting in a sbc would probably require rebuilding or replacing the rest of the drivetrain components, so you don't have to reply and tell me it won't bolt up. But, if I'm gonna spend $1,000 - $2,000 on the straight 6, I could spend just as much on a sbc (mind you I'm counting on pulling something from a junkyard and building it myself at my friend's shop, save myself the cost of labor), be making more power, and still have some potential left in it.

Any thoughts?

Salvatore Giglia

• I have the same 4.0l in BlueJ, and I've never felt a need for more power driving it on the trails or on the road. Different gears, maybe, but not more power. It's pretty much a trail only vehicle now, and more power certainly isn't going to help on the trail.

• That's exactly how I've felt (hence why I havn't done anything yet, even something simple), don't really need anymore power for the trail, which is what matters. Don't really care if my Jeep is fast on the highway (would be nicer though). Only thing is, later on, i can't say that it won't be cooler to have a lot more power.

• If you look at actual dyno gains from those "performance" mods you hardly see anything. I was looking at some data from an K&N FIPK when I had it in my jeep and was astonished to see at low RPM's which is what the I6 is running at, 0-1 HP was gained. It was a little better at higher RPM's but who is running the I6 at redline?? Now throw a supercharger into the mix and you will see some appreciable gains in power. I like the security of having the stock air-box in the engine compartment, I was always worried about the cone filter and water crossings. I have a K&N drop in filter but I got it for helping someone do some work. It is nice that I can just clean it but I never would have bought it. To each his own but I can still break my MTR's loose on the pavement so I think I have enough power. Regearing is all I am going to do to help my performance.

• Just to reinterate, the 2.5l breaths just fine. In and out. There is very little bolt on you can do to a 2.5l that will give any significant power upgrade. Here is what will make a difference..

Rimmer super charger. Big bucks, may as well drop in a vortec.

Rebuild and cam. When I had my 2.5l YJ, I dropped in a new long block that was like .40 over and a RV cam. That was a great power gain.

Last: Gears, user your power effecintly.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!