Polishing wheels

• Does anyone know someone who knows how to polish up an aluminum wheel. When I bought my jeep from the previous owner I think he used mag cleaner on a polished aluminum wheel and ate off the clear coat and pitted the aluminum. I have tried everything to make them clean again but to no avail. I was wondering if someone knew how to repolish them back to a like new condition. Is it even possible? Would it cost me more to redo than to replace :question: Let me know your thoughts. They are American Racing wheels.
    Brian

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• I usually let mine get dull and very dirty. Then about twice a year I get out the drill and buffing wheel to polish them. I use buffing compound with a fast drill and 2" buffing wheels. Not to scare you but it takes me about 2 1/2 hours per wheel to bring back the shine. Best to take them off to do it. I have used a die grinder before but it spins at like 25,000 rpm and the buffing wheels don't last long. You could just steel wool them and then paint.

• Don't you have to acid dip aluminum in order for paint to stick to it. I didn't think that scuffing them up alone would work. Is there a certain primer that sticks to aluminum :question:
    Just asking questions before I screw up my wheels
    Brian

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• i've found that the best thing that works for mine is to rub in a circular motion against a rock, rinse, and repeat :) well, it works for the edges anyways. seriously though - i still plan on painting mine sometime. when Icky and i painted her flares with krylon we used large amounts of acetone on them beforehand to remove all oil residue that would keep the paint from sticking. i think i'll just try that on my wheels before i primer them and see how it works. they are pitted well past the point of restoring them anyways - and besides, i prefer the flat black anyways (less maintaining).
    chris

• Not to be plugging my place of employment (True Value). But there is a product called Flitz. It is a liquid compound that is safe for all metals and from personal use and customers stories, it works very well. Flitz also has their polishing ball that hooks up to a drill. Plus Flitz comes in everything from little packets for .99 to big bottles for 12.99. I would say its worth a try.

-Chris

• There was a article in Petersons a few issues ago with a 2 step paint process to make them look like anodized aluminum. They said the result was amazing and it comes in a bunch of colors.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!