Need Help

• I'm driving down Rt 13 today on my way back to work, long story and my jeeps starts to sputter, does this on occasion. Normally there will be a pop comming from under the Jeep and every thing is ok. Also this usually happens when the jeep is just started from sitting after a day.

Well to get on with it the sputter does not stop, the jeep tries to stall and there all kinds of pops comming from under the Jeep, I think they are backfires but cant be sure. Can anyone tell me what they think is the problem, my thought is maybe fuel filter :shrug:

• mines been doing that in the mornings when i start it to go to work it idles weird and then revs a little high then its normal......sorry i cant help but im wondering about this too

It's A Jeep Thing...You Wouldn't Understand
    *bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*

• yeah mine has been having trouble starting in the mornings and after it sits for a while too.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• How many miles are on it? Last time you had a tune-up? Spark Plugs, Wires, cap&rotor, injector flush? I think the fuel filter on your jeep may be in the tank with the pump and is generally not serviced. There was a TSB issued for extended crank times on some Jeeps. There was a problem with an O-ring on the fuel pump module that went bad. The fix was to replace the o-ring. The kit was about 16 bucks. I would look at the simple stuff first, the tune-up stuff, then maybe a fuel pressure test to see if your maintaining your fuel pressure, if youve got a clogged or leaking injector, leaking pressure regulator, etc.

• Mine used to only do that in the morning as well but it's getting worse. Comforting to know that I'm not the only one though.

• Check out the plug wires
    the #1 plug will ground out on the AC bracket

That was one problem I had with my 2.5 and it caused stuttering badly.

• i just had new wires put on and a new rotor and cap so i guess the plugs are the next think to check. could the new k&n be a cause for some of the problem? it is a cone style and i did it my self but the fitting is air tight could it be tomuch air gettting to the engine? how can you clean the fuel filter on the tj's i think mine is in need if a cleaning.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• The plugs are new, I'll try some new wires, and everything else.

Omaha mine has done this often in the morning ever since I got it, and for a little while it was stock.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!