Fixed!!! - Tie rod end

• It doesn't seem TOO difficult. I am swapping my stock tie rod for a new AlumiFlex one, including new tie rod ends. I figured out which end goes where and which way the rod goes on.

The problem is that I can't get the old tie rod end attached to the drag link off. The bolt spins as I try to loosen the nut (yes, I did remove the cotter pin :folded: ). The driver side came off really easily, but the other side is driving me nuts. How do I get the bolt off? You can't access the back side, since that spins freely. I cut the boot off and cleaned out the grease, but still can't grip the bolt enough to hold it still.

So, folks, how do I get the nut off? Do I need an impact wrench? Heat? Cold? BFH? Grind off the backside of the bolt (I think I have enough room for that)? What do you suggest? Any if you have a tool that would be useful, can I borrow it?

Thanks,
    Andrew

Former Trail Boss (2003 - 2005)

Edited once, last by ().

• hmm...either use an impact wrench loosening it while either applying a downward force on the tierod (pulling down) or pushing it forward into the draglink (a prybar between the back of the tierod and the axle?). that may keep it from spinning. otherwise you can use a dremel to try an cut a slot across the top of the bolt. it will slice into it nicely between the castles of the castellated nut. then you can try to hold the bolt still while using a wrench on the nut.
    chris

• The tie rod is off, just the stub to hold on to...

Have an impact wrench or dremel I can borrow? :hmm:

• Use a pry bar between the tierod end and the axle and push the tierod end as far as you can into the drag link. This will force the tappered end of the bolt into the hole so that the bolt won't spin.

It took me 2 hours to figure that out when I put on my new tierod.

-Chris

• It didn't seem like a tough job, and it wasn't with the right tools. Chris (JeepSahara) and I tackled the tie rod end as the sun was setting. With Chris (quadna's) grinder, I ground two sides of the bolt back. We then stuck a vice grip on it, hooked up the air ratchet, and ... spinnnnn. The grooves we ground were not quite parallel, and the vice grips kept slipping. So we ground some more. We tried various wrenches to hold it, but none were quite right. Then Chris suggested his crappy old little adjustable wrench, hooking it up to the back, setting the ratchet gun, and off the nut came. One little tap of the hammer, and the bolt came out.

We then set up the tie rod ends on the tie rod, and spun them in until it was about the right length, then bolted everything together again. (I would have bolted in the ends first, then tried to thread the rod on. I'd probably still be out there it I did it my way -- thanks for the suggestion Chris!) We did a crude alignment, then packed up all the tools, took the jeep off the jackstands, and called it a day.

Thanks very much to Chris (JeepSahara) for his assistance and advice, and thanks to Chris (quadna) for lending me his tools. I liked the grinder so much (such pretty sparks!) I went out and bought one for myself today.

I took it to NTB today for a warranty alignment (cost $0 today), so now it's riding pretty nicely. If you go to the NTB on 202, ask for Kevin -- he does mine and Claymont-Hilbilly's.

:peace:

• NTB on 202..that over neer target???

it dosent matter that i had the initial alignment done at kirkwood and 7??

• Glad we could finish it all up before we lost the light. Had a blast wrenching as always and really happy it came together so nicely.

After we got the Alumaflex tierod on, I asked Andrew if we could grab a bottle jack and see if it could really flex and go back to straight. He just gave me one of these looks :folded: and didn't think we should test it before the rocks had a taste. Oh well. :laughing: Still had a blast.

-Chris

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!