D 300 help

• Im trying to remove my 300 so that i can fix some leaks and clean up under there. My question is can i just unbolt the adapter from the tranny or do i have to unbolt the tcase from the adaptor. I only ask this because the bolts for the adapter to tranny are alot easier to get to. This is my first time doing this sort of maintenace so any pointers are much appriciated. thanks. :peace:

• The transfer case has to come off by itself because the adapter may be held to the output shaft with a snap ring or bearing retainer. Those t-case bolts are much easier with an offset ratcheting box-end wrench.

• Quote from "zachv"

Those t-case bolts are much easier with an offset ratcheting box-end wrench.

Good point, thanks alot. Where would be the best place to get one?

• Quote from "quadna71"

i have some in the garage...but you know how long it would take me to get to them. glad you made it back safe.
    chris

Hmmm...i think ill just go buy one..thanks anyways though. It feels great to be back, but that trip back was no fun, ended up being about a 41 hour trip. :doh:

Keep your eyes out there, lots of crazy stuff on the roads ie camels strapped down in the back of pickup trucks. lots of cool stuff in the planes also. Stay safe and enjoy what you can. :peace:

• Finally got it out. It looked like a dirt/greese clod with a shifter. spent like 2 hours trying to get it clean. Didnt even need any special tool. I was looking at the one bolt on top i didnt think i could get off and it suddenly came to me that i had only removed the shifter boots and not the transmission cover plate :doh: needless to say that gave me more room and i got it off easily. :peace:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!