possible XJ buy

• Im looking into buying a family members XJ. think its a 88. but apparently when they bought it year and half ago it had a bad ECU. and apparently the ECU has gone bad again. I have yet to go look at this thing to see if its worth buying for $500. what could make the ECU go bad twice now on this jeep? is there a way to retrieve any codes from this by doing the on/off/on/off/on key switch thing? or do I need one of them fancy code retrieval tools?

the body on this thing is in great shape. last time I seen it at X-mas I really didn't pay much attention but looked like little or no dings/dents/scratches and they just last month put 2 year tag on it and new tires all the way around.

and if I get this thing its a matter of what to do with my 87.... sell or part it out to put the old 89xj limited back on the road thats been sitting for 3 years.

damn this Jeep thing is ADDICTIVE!!!!!!

• first - find out if the ECU from your '87 or your '89 is compatible with the '88. if so, at least you have a cheap way of having the '88 back on the road again. then, between the '89 and the '87 you'll have plenty of parts available to start building one up them up for trailrides :grin:
    chris

• just found out that the ECU was replace just 2-3 months ago. and it was a new one...... theres gotta be something making it short out. any guesses???? :shrug:

• sorry, i'm not to savvy with the computer side of jeeps. maybe send a pm to paul (prm99v6) about it? XJ to YJ...but he got pretty up close and personal with the electronics in his jeep while making the engine swap last year.
    chris

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!