Trail Report - Paragon in the Snow - March 20

• Alesser:

Fresh powdery snow is what we were expecting in January and February, not for the March 20 trail ride. We're ready for springtime! Despite that...

It was a pretty good day, with minimal breakage (neither Tom or I broke anything). Earning a DeJA Trail Ride badge were (alphabetically): BDLSTOY (Brian Little), bmf24 (Chris Klee), Claymont-Hilbilly (Matt Edwards), DCC (Donnie Caudill), dmaster (Stetson Wallis), fatfarm (Nate Griffith), gavan (Gavan Young), jeepers (Greg Boyer), JeepSahara (Chris Hall), NikkiJY (Nikki Sample), Orange Crush (Tom Sample), quadna 71 (Chris Koran), Trouble (Bryan Whiting), UrbanCrawler22 (Kevin Hamilton), and your trail boss Alesser (Andrew Lesser). Among the passengers were Icky (Erica Lalik), Mel83yj (Melissa Dombrowski), Ron, and Chris Hall's Dad (needs a screen name Chris!). We also had a stocker from BMJA whose buddies abandoned him - I don't remember his name but we'll say Chris (the odds are in favor ).

After learning about Paragon's traffic signs and local wildlife, we split into two groups, stocker and modified. Gathering up in the lower staging area, OC lead the modified group and I led the stockers with JeepSahara as the tailgunner. We headed first for Rubicon Lake, and watched from the bottom as OC's group crawled across the ridge above, and strung several jeeps together to pull UC22 out of a run on the edge of the ridge. We elected to go over a few hundred feet and go across a different was to the High Road. We continued on High Road to Turtle Trail and down. Although snowy, we had enough traction to make it down without incident.

At the bottom of Turtle we turned right and headed for the Outer Spare Tire stream crossing. After moving some lunching ATV'ers off the trail, we proceeded across the stream. The water was running a bit high today, and the smaller jeeps got a little water inside. The BMJA Chris took a direct line across and got hung up on that rock in the middle. Since no one wanted to wade into the stream, we improvised. I gave bmf24 my 8 foot tree saver strap, and backed down in to the stream. He then climbed onto my stinger front bumper, and got into position behind the stuck jeep. A quick loop on the barely submerged bumberette, and we tugged him off the rock. The rest came across and we moved along, crossing over Greg's Mud Puddle (or what's left of it) and then right up the hill. The hill was covered with fresh snow, but with some slipping and sliding we all made it up. Then out to Haul Road and up the part across the stream up to the Spring. We stopped for lunch and waited for the modified group.

After lunch we headed for the logging trail. The main entrance is very steep and was covered with fresh snow. I tried it, and barely managed with Krawlers and lockers to get up the first hill. A green jeep followed me part of the way up (not sure if it was BDLSTOY or Trouble), but got himself wedged sideways against a tree. I came down halfway, hooked the back of my jeep to a tree, and got out the winch. Actually, I sat in my jeep as everyone else did the hookups, and I winched the jeep back into a position that he could then back down the hill.
    I came back down, and we went over about 100 feet to a separate trail that heads into the logging trail, and with some spinning and slipping and strapping, we had it up.

We continued around Rock Swamp through the moonscape, then met up with the other logging trail. For a little more adventure, we turned left into the swampy Lucky trail. It was extra swampy today, with some pretty mean spots. One mean deep spot swamped DCC's air intake and stalled him out in the middle of the puddle. We yanked him out, and then he proceded to pull out the air filter, plugs, and distributor cap. Luckily, no water in the engine, only the airbox, so he got put back together. The engine wouldn't turn over, though, so we kept him on the strap. He did managed to get it started before we ended the trail, and it ran the rest of the ride.

We then headed down the pipeline and Valley Road, and ran into the modified group as they were heading up Drumstick. Since we had a little time to spare, we rode through the two lower sections of Chicken Run, and then headed for the exit.

We did all the usual gas station stuff and then hit the road.

Thanks for the great turnout, everyone, and I look forward to seeing you on the trails in April.

(Someone from the modified should add a trail report for their ride. Thanks!)

Orange Crush:

I guess since I lead the modified group I should give a trail report. We started out lissening to a 25 minute speech on the rules and regs of Paragon. Most of it is the same with a few new things. One of the things they are going to add are some picnic areas through out the park, great idea. The park hours are also going to be 8:00am to 6:00pm once we get daylight savings time. Can't wait for this although it means we won't get home till about 10.
    We started out on the coal road heading towards Rubicon lake. I had planned on following the stockers to the lake. But after a few minutes I decided to head accross the top of hill that over looks the lake. The snow was a little deep at about 8 inches and undesturbed. This made the going for me slightly tough. After a few tries I was able to make it through. Following me were Chris(Quadna 71), Stetson(dmaster), Matt(Claymont-Hillbilly), Gavan(gavan), Kevin(UrbanCrawler22), Greg(jeepers), and Nikki(NikkiYJ). Riders were Ron(), Melissa(Mel93YJ),Erica(Icky), and Greg's daughter.The top of this hill is very narrow (about 6 or 7 feet). I told everyone to go very slow but one of the jeepers did not have a CB so did not hear me. This is when we had our first excitment for the day. Kevin had the rear of his jeep spin out and start to slide off of the edge. If you have not been on top of this hill before it is about a 80 foot drop on either side at about a 65% angle. It took two jeeps to pull forward and 4 of us on a strap attached to the rear to pull sideways. We had to pull sideways to keep the jeep from wanting to go the rest of the way over. (I don't think Kevin or Melissa had any idea how bad off they were). After we freed them we headed out to Turtle Rocks that ended up about 1/3 the way down Turtle trail. From there we took Inner Spare Tire which is rated as a blue. This trail we did at the last trail ride but went the other direction. Everything was fine until the water crossing. I made it accross without to much difficulty and then so did Chris. Stetson was going to need a strap but with a little skinny pedal made it up. Then we have Kevin go at it. He tried a couple of times but couldn't find the grip he needed. This obstacle takes just the right amount of throttle and finess to get up. Unfortunately Kevin gave it too much and ended up with a broken rear driveshaft. We got everyone else accross and towed Kevin's crippled TJ up to the spring where the stockers were waiting. We decided to take Kevins jeep back to the parking lot. Then he hoped in with me and Mel hoped in with Stetson.
    Next trail was Chicken Run lower part and then half of the upper. No real excitement due to everyone making it through unscathed. Chris was getting a little antsee becouse he has these new lockers and gears and was dying to try them out. So I figured we could do Drumstick which is a black 1 rated trail. Started uneventful with me getting to the top where the big rock is and then waited for Chris. I climbed the center with the help of a well placed rock and plenty of go pedal. Chris was next and after returning the same rock that I had kicked out made it up with no problem (gotta love lockers). Greg didn't seem to have any problems on the lower part and that was good due to us needing his winch shortly. Matt got his tire wedged into a rock which in turn ripped off his vavle stem. After some winching and tire change we were on our way. By this time the stockers had reached our postion on coal road and watched some. Ron driving Gavans jeep made it through the lower and then tried the big rock several times to no avail. Eventually going around and finishing the trail with his excitment still not over (read post about trailer). Around this time it started raining and it was 3:45 so we headed out to the parking lot. Most headed straight to the gas station to air up and get gas.
    This was another great trip to PAP and I for one can't wait for next months trip to Raush Creek.
    On a side note I Hate This Snow!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!