Posts by pdiehm

Picked up the AEV spacer kit, probably will hook up the pro-cal snap today and adjust my speedo for the new tires. Also got the geometry correction brackets being delivered today.

@astape - definitely wanna get this on when it's good for you, and like I said, definitely wanna help out. In theory, most folks say this shouldn't take but a few hours to put on. Feel free to text me and we'll do this! (302) 383-2207

Paul

yeah, i did not think about that. In my mind the tire is about 3/4" bigger than the stock one, same load (C) and yes a significant weight difference (I wanna say ~65 to ~90 lbs).

I did not re-flash it yet, i'm still thinking about getting the AEV spacer lift with the pro-cal unit to reflash it for the tire size. I don't think it'd look that weird after seeing a few pictures of similar setups.

I have toyed with re-gearing to 4.10's but if I get the AEV 2" lift, I can run 35's (well 315/70) and would 100% regear to 4.56 so I don't really want to go through that twice. I'm curious if reflashing with the pro-cal will set the shift points back and i should gain back a little performance.

so interestingly enough, i measured my stock tires and was 31.25" (call it 31.5 when new probably). Adding the 285/70'R17's at 32.8, will probably net me .75" in height. If I can find Rubicon springs 60/61 or 61/62 for the front and 90/91 or 91/92 for the rear, i will probably gain about 1.5-1.75" in height, which I think will be perfect for the 33" tires I'm putting on. Won't look too high, and give me the look that I like.

I am kicking the idea of getting lower control arms from a mopar lift that are longer as well to keep the caster close to what it is now.

Lots of thinking about this, and thinking about that, only to stay put....but one thing remained the same, i like the look of a lifted jeep lol.

ok, the wheels and tires have been ordered as I am slipping all over the place on wet roads now. 285/70's are en route from Discount Tire.

I keep going back and forth between a small 1.5" to 2" spacer lift and the Rubicon take off from a rubicon with tow package, steel bumpers and hard top. If I'm understanding, this rubicon stuff would be a good .75" lift to my existing Sahara and thinking about changing the lower control arms to the ones that come with the mopar lift to fix the caster. Both options should run me about $200-$250 for all parts.

The concern I have with the spacer lift is having the look of my Jeep missing Leg Day with the 33's, though I think the teraflex 1.5" spacer lift would work really well, however they recommend 4.75" of backspacing and my new wheels will have 5.01". So in grand scheme that may be nothing. Both options should pretty much maintain the factory handling and feel, so that's a wash.

Spacer lift or Rubicon Takeoffs?

@astape - if you want to do the install, I sure would like to help as it's something i would like to learn, but i also don't have the stuff here to do it efficiently...like I just bought a jack that goes up 23" to put my new wheels on...shows you what I have available lol. The whole thing doesn't seem overly complicated, I just don't trust myself enough to do it solo without screwing it up.

Just pulled the trigger on 5 17x9 +1 offset Fuel Hostage wheels with 5 285/70R17 Toyo OC AT3's from Quadratec, which was about $500 cheaper than anywhere else. Curiously the guy said i'm just warning you, these won't fit your sahara without a lift.

but i see plenty of 285/70's on Stock sahara's with no issues at all.

I continue to go back and forth on lifting my rig. I like the look of the lift, and with 35’s. But I also don’t think my 3.45 gears will appreciate the larger tire very well and my sub 20 mpg will go to 16-17 because I won’t see 7th and 8th gear again.

if I lift, I would be using the quadratec 2.5” lift with fox ifp shocks and having D’Anttonio’s in west Chester, adding adjustable track bars and steering correction casters, a taser, alignment for like $280. No idea if that’s a good deal or not.

The other equation is the wheels and tires as I love the look of a 20x9 paired with the 35x12.5...that’s another $3500.

then the regearing, and move to 4.56, which is $800 before labor.

the other option I have is get my 17x9 +1 offset wheels with 285/70R17’s, and drive it around like that for a few years and really figure out the regearing, the lift and other costs.

I could also get some rubicon takeoff springs and shocks (though I would probably just buy 0-1.5” fox ifp’s. ).

The 285’s and rubicon takeoffs would be about 1” if I am estimating right.

I found a thread where a mechanic is recommending the Pro-Comp K3111 2.5" lift with Fox 2.0 IFP shocks...the issue I am struggling with, is that 2.5" is really like a 3.5-4" lift for my Sahara.

Additional research brought me to Rusty's 2" basic lift kit which is $899 plus the Fox 2.0 IFP's...would be about 2.5" of lift.

Brings me to my next concern. Wheels. My tires are nearing the end of their life. I keep seeing Sahara's online with -12 offset wheels, and they say it's only about 1.5" outside the fender (17x9). That's going to be touch and go, but tiresize.com or something indicates that a -12 offset would be almost 3" outside my fender. So I'm not sure who or what to believe. Would getting a wheel with a 0 offset be the safe bet to stay "legal" here in DE?

Then the last thing is tires. If I lift, and get 35" tires, every tire except the KO2 is E-Rated. If I'm primarily Kirkwood Hwy, Rt 1 and Rt 95 driver, would the E-rated tires be that much harsher than the stock C?

All that aside, I can't install the lift, and I contacted Kirkwood Auto who quoted me $3600 for a Superlift 2". and Rhino Linings was $1700 for Ready Lift...but my concerns over how much lift I'd get are still there. I don't want something that would sit up 4" higher than it is now.

found a soft top in VA for $1,000. turns out it was the premium soft top twill, so that was too good of a deal to pass up and well worth the 2 hour drive. Took about 45 minutes to install (not including the breaks I took because of the massive heat yesterday, which are obvious on the windows where my arms rubbed).

Looks really sharp, and was a breeze to put on. The hard top is in the garage until probably mid october when that will go back on, and the soft top gets stored until April.

After spending a few days looking at lifts, and for what I want it to do, I think I'm holding off on that. Someone is selling Rubicon takeoff wheels and tires that are basically brand new, trying to get a price on them. If I can get the Rubicon takeoff suspension, i'll have astape install that when it's under 120F. The look I'm going for is slightly more aggressive, slightly taller, and I think I'll be able to accomplish both with the rubicon takeoffs. The Tires are about 1" (not quite) bigger than my Sahara's, and the suspension will add about 1" (not quite), so i'll get that little bump I'm looking for.

If I can get these tires/wheels, they should hold me over for a few years before I need new tires, which is ideal. I can focus more on obtaining a TopLift Pro and a Premium Twill Soft Top for next summer.

At least that's my plan, and my wallet is saying Paul....that's pretty reasonable.