Posts by Chief57

First off, I'm an Army chief warrant officer who was born in '57 -- thus Chief57!! I'm not talented enough to be a fire chief!!

Second, I certainly hope and pray that the folks at Boyd's Welding know what they are doing. I have no reason to believe that those welded rings will fly off under any circumstances. But, one never know, do one?

Third, I bought the Champion winch off a forum post I made back in early December. I bought it from a former DEJA member and current forum guest poster (Certk9). I didn't like the look of a factory bumper, plus Certk9 explained that I'd need some more space to fit a winch plate anyway. He crafted the winch plate, and he attached the bumper to the Wrangler. Perhaps when my "ship comes in" I'll get a new Warn winch, which seems to be "the brand" everyone is raving about.

Keith_C, this is probably a dumb question, but how did you drop that picture of my bumper into your post? That's what I want to do. I know it's not as simple as "copy and paste."

Why'd someone have to go and put a dumpster right where she happened to be driving?! That was pretty inconsiderate. Hope she's good looking. FYI, I happen to be selling a bumper in the "for sale" forum.

So, there is a Quadratec hoist product! Well, what if I want to do it myself? It doesn't seem that complicated. I could use some input on these points:

- Should I use two ceiling-mounted pulleys instead of one? Seems to me that would add stability (eliminate back and forth swinging).

- How do I handle the rear hook? Since there's glass there, is there a special attachment or hook? (I assume you leave the rear glass in place.)

- Do you use a regular rope cleat to tie off the rope? A cam cleat? Something else?

- Is it necessary to use a horizontal spreader bar and let the hooks hang from that?

In anticipation of summer, I'd like to build a block and tackle hoist contraption in my garage so that I can lift and store my TJ hard top. I have a high garage ceiling, so I should have an ideal situation for that. I'd appreciate some "do" and "don't" advice from the members before I start buying rope, pulleys, etc. Thanks.

BTW, I thought I'd find something for this purpose at Quadratec online, but I didn't. Surprising!

Epilogue: I went to Walmart after work today. Lo and behold, they had H3 bulbs! Keith_C, thanks for the tip! Not knowing the difference, I first picked up a bulb that cost $18.49. With someone's help, I settled on a "non-Silverstar" bulb that cost $4.96. (It's a sad day when you have to apply for an equity loan to buy a light bulb.)

To tell you the truth, for $20 you can get some pretty cool looking fog lights or driving lamps -- the halogen bulbs, housing, wiring, kit and kabootle. So I'm now wondering why so many people drive around with the plain ol' factory fog lights. I think the next time I blow a bulb, that's the route I'm going to take.
    :driving:

Thanks!! Mystery solved...one final related question....do you happen to know if this can be purchased at my friendly neighborhood auto parts store, or must I go to the Jeep dealer? I'm guessing it's a little pricey.

I need helping replacing a bulb on my fog light. Here's the deal...I have a 98 TJ with factory fog lights. While replacing my bumper I believe I must have bumped the light and broken the bulb. I've gotten to the point where I've removed the silver metal bulb holder from the clip on the back of the lamp housing. (This silver bulb holder has a white wire lead.) The bulb itself is very small and has a sort of fuse style base -- two thin and flat prongs. I just can't dislodge the bulb from the metal holder. I've pulled on it so hard that I'm afraid I'm going to break the bulb and cut my fingers. There does seem to be two tiny little clips on each side of the holder, but I can't get them to release or even move.

So, you Jeep wizards, what's the deal here?

p.s. Should I use this opportunity to upgrade to some other type of bulb? Tungsten? Halogen? Inquiring minds want to know...

The recent post about propance got me thinking, which is generally a dangerous thing. Many DEJA members seem to be accomplished mechanics, so have any of you given thought to putting a diesel engine in a Wrangler? What prompts the question is the recent news about folks around the country running their diesel vehicles on cooking oil that they get for free from fast food restaurants. I know it's not an urban myth...it really does work.

Seems to me some interprising DEJA guy with an adjustable wrench, creative mind and understanding wife should give it a try. No?

See there! That's what I love about DEJA and this forum. I never would have known about the washer/bolt adjustment option. You guys continue to impress!!

BTW, to answer the question, they are BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A 33 x 10.5. The important thing is that they look cool. Remember, I'm a poser, not a rock climber!!

Groovy. That's what I wanted to hear! It's not a crisis -- I've learned to not turn my wheel too hard -- so I can be patient and try to pick a pair of spacers up at a good price. If you stumble onto the deal of the century please let me know.

I have a 98 TJ with a 2" lift. I'm a little tired of having the inside of my tires rub when I make hard turns, so I thought I'd install some wheel spacers to alleviate the problem. Where's the best place (read: cheapest) to buy them? Is it ok to buy used ones or would that be potentially unsafe? Anyone in the club want to get rid of a set for cheap?

A little tutoring on wheel spacers please.....

Thanks guys. Good stuff! BTW, today I'm having a bumper custom made for my by a local welder...wish me luck. The simple plan was to buy a used winch I found on the "for sale" forum, but then one thing led to another.......When I learn how to post pics on this site I'll do so. Haven't figured that out yet. Must I be a DEJA member to post pics?