Posts by Chief57

It's Monday morning and I'm off from work -- thanks to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. As a new Jeep guy, I've got the fever to go shopping at a real, live off-road store. I get the catalogs, but I just want to be able to walk down the aisles and browse for myself.

I was thinking of driving up to Quadratex in West Chester. I've heard lots of good things about it. I'm just south of Dover. Is Quadratec a real brick and mortar parts store or is it just a catalog retailer? Also, where can I go shopping for Wrangler stuff that's closer? Gas ain't cheap you know! Obviously I'd like to get some quick replies to this post -- thanks!

After reading all the posts here yesterday I subscribed to JP magazine....hope I made the right call. I guess it's not enough money to worry about.

BMF24, thanks very much for the offer. I'm not totally without mechanical skill, so I can assist. I just don't know how to weld. Not that it matters that much, but where are you located?

Also, how common is it to find a pair of used half doors? Junk yards? Just wondering...
    Jim

[quote='Jason','https://www.delawareja.com/forum/index.php?thread/&postID=156959#post156959']
    You just need to cut to size, weld, and put hinge/latch assembly on.

Do I look like Jesse James over here?! Tim the Tool Man?! I'd like to learn how to weld, but I don't currently have that skill. So.....is anyone interested in taking on a pupil?
    :bang:

I've got a 98 Wrangler with full doors and hard top. I just bought the Jeep in November and am already looking forward to owning it during the warm months. I've been thinking more and more about the doors lately. I certainly don't want to run around will full doors during summer. To purchase half doors or -- better yet -- custom doors such as the Safari style seems way too expensive.

From reading these forums for the past weeks I can see there's a boatload of talent within DEJA. I'm just wondering if any of you folks with metal working skills have attempted to make simple tubular, Safari-style doors for Wranglers. If so, what kind of luck did you have? And would you make a set for a fellow DEJA member?

Short of buying a set of Safari doors from a catalog, it looks like I'll try to find a used set of half doors that I can paint to match the rest of the Wrangler. I just thought a "custom" set of doors made by a DEJA member might be a cool third option. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

These a amazing video on you Tube with a Auto equipped Bronco on Lions back in Moab. Brakes over heated and the truck took a highspeed decent with a pucker factor of 1000!

http://video.google.com/videop…o=0&type=search&plindex=0

Pretty cool video. That video led to another, which led to another. I got hooked watching Jeep off road videos on YouTube. I guess I should be upset that you've made me a junkie, but like I said they were pretty cool.

How do I know if I have a "lockup converter" on my 98 TJ? I'm not too worried about losing my brakes as I decend a sheer cliff, but I've seen that phrase used a lot on this forum so I realize it's important. For 98% normal road driving, do I even want a lockup converter? Thanks. Jim ???

Thanks for all the great posts. Yup, I get the fact that it's a Wrangler so I'm not supposed to get good mileage. One of these days I'll actually measure my mileage so I'll have real numbers to play with. I guess I could just drive my TJ downhill only or maybe mount a sail on the roof for when I've got the wind at my back. Jim :bang:

the cut bumper is what i did it will pass just went though last week and he didnt even look at it, chief if ya want i can cut it for ya if you come to my house its is a simple job will only take 30min to 45min including disassemble and reassemble

To tell you the truth, I was wondering how the front bumper comes off. From what you say, it seems like it's not a big deal to remove it, but as I lay under the bumper on my garage floor I'm not so sure which bolts to remove. I'd like to hang onto your offer to help me with the cutting. I appreciate it.

BTW, this weekend I mounted my new bumper jack on my rear bumper. I used two 1/2 inch x 4" bolts. Even found some rubber end caps to go on the bolt ends so they don't jab and but peoples' legs. Very proud of myself! Wish I knew how to post a picture on this forum.

how much were thinking it was going to get?
    [/quote]

Well, I was hoping for an average of about 20 MPG. Someone asked earlier what my actual mileage was, and I must confess I don't know. I never did compute it...but like most people I can tell when it's terrible just by how often I visit the gas station. I'd say it's in the 13-14 MPG range, but that's just a swag.

My original question was....is there an MPG difference between a 3-speed auto and a 5-speed manual? (All other factors being equal.) Thanks.

I've recently purchased a 98 TJ with a 6 cyl automatic. I'm wondering if I made a mistake, as my fuel economy is terrible. I know, I know, it's a Jeep! It's not supposed to be good!! Still, I've never heard anyone on the forum quantify the difference between the 5-speed manual and the 3-speed auto transmission. From what I've read here, the auto tranny would be better for trail riding, but that's not a big deal for me. I'll be using it mostly for regular street driving.

So, should I have bought a manual 5-speed? How much better would my MPG be? Thanks.

Well, here's what happened....they are not torx screws after all. They are allen head. But, they were so rusted that it didn't matter -- they weren't coming off. I bought a tap set at Lowe's to drill them out and remove them, but that actually didn't work either. So, I cut off the plastic with a reciprocating saw, and then had to grind the screws from inside the bumper. They were very hard screws and it was a bear, but they are now off. Sorry I had to trash the plastic extensions (in case I need them in the future), but that's the way it goes I guess. I think somebody manufactures a plastic "plug" that covers up the hollow ends. Right?

I'm trying to remove the plastic factory extensions from the front bumper to give my 98 TJ a somewhat custom/different look for free. But, I can't even begin to turn the screws that are holding the extensions in place. I've tried both metric and standard allen wrenches with no luck, and I'm wondering if they are an odd size or are not allen head at all. The shop manual doesn't even identify the type of screws, much less the size. Can anyone help with tips on removing those suckers?! Thanks!!

I'd like to pick up a Citizens Band radio and antenna for my 98 TJ and am wondering what's the best value for my money. I don't know the first thing about them. It'll only get occasional use since I'm not a diehard trail guy, but obviously it must actually work when I need it. You guys seem to know how to get the most bang for your bucks, so....what's the deal?!

Anyone have a used one just collecting dust on a shelf?

Well, I did just try using a new Brillo pad (full of soap) and lots of water on my wheels. It definitely made a big improvement, mostly because it got the overspray off. I kept a careful eye on the surface as I worked to make sure I wasn't scratching it....seemed to work fine. However, the one other problem still exists -- the wheels have spots that look like a coating has peeled up a little, even though the wheels apparently don't have a coating. I don't know what to make of it. Perhaps I'll show them to someone at one of the DEJA meetings and I can get some good feedback.

It would also help if I could get some nice looking center caps. I guess it would help if I could identify the make and model of the wheel!

The 98 TJ I just purchased came with some fairly attractive (but probably cheap) aluminum wheels. I wish I knew what brand/model they are, but I don't. They are without any identifying markings. For what it's worth, they have five major slots in them and decorative rivets around the perimeter. Here's the problem...they have little scratches and what appears to be overspray (paint or undercoating?). The blemishes don't really look so much like scratches, but more like there is a coating or film on the surface that's starting to peel up.

Does that sound strange? Do wheels have a clear coating on them? And here's the big question...can I take these wheels someplace to have them refurbished? Polished? Buffed? I don't think this is the kind of thing that can be done by hand, but they need some sort of TLC. Thanks!

p.s. Went to the Jeeps for Joy event yesterday -- my first DEJA event as a new Jeep owner. I was impressed with everyone's friendliness and willingness to share Jeep knowledge. You guys are great!

I just purchased a 1998 Wrangler, but it did not come with an owner's manual. I'm interested in knowing the best way (least expensive) way to get an owner's manual. Does anyone in DEJA have one on soft copy (Adobe Acrobat maybe)? Also, what's the recommended brand of shop manual for my Jeep? I'd love to get a shop manual at a bargain price? Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

Looks like this topic has pretty much run its course. One last question though....What's the single best magazine to read for Jeep novices who want to get up to speed on the terminology, mod possibilities, etc? Are there any free e-zines out there via email?

This is very short notice but......Regarding the 98 Wrangler from Bear DE mentioned in earlier posts, I'm meeting the guy at the Ches-Del diner on Rt 13 at 10 this morning, in case anyone is interested in a rendezvous to help me size up his vehicle.

Again, thanks all for your comments and suggestions.