Posts by Chief57

FZMax, that's a great offer. The guy's name is Tim, and you'll find his craigslist posting number previously on this thread. Or you can look it up yourself...a blue 98, 6 cyl for $8000 in Bear -- only one meets that description. Or, I can let you know when we plan to meet at the Ches-Del and you'd be welcome to join us there.

My mechanic in Dover charges $70 to give a vehicle the head to toe going over, which sounds like $70 well spent to me. So, I'd have to work it out with the guy I'm buying the Jeep from to allow me to have it inspected. As a backup, the rented pressure checker sounds pretty good -- and cheap.

Yankee19934, you're right...that's a pretty cool CJ for sale. If I were a little more comfortable with my Jeep knowledge and mechanical skills, that might be the one for me. In the meantime, all you guys please keep me in mind as you see Wranglers for sale that seem to fit my candy*ss profile.

The guy with the 98 Wrangler in Bear will meet me at the Ches-Del diner on Rt 13 to show me his vehicle. We just haven't set a time. (I'm in Magnolia, by the way.) Anyone interested in meeting, assessing his Jeep, and perhaps having breakfast?

Good stuff here! Didn't mean to start a war of words among you Jeep guys, but know that you are helping shape my decision on what to buy. Sounds like what I want does not really exist: A Wrangler TJ for $6000 to $7000 with a 6 cyl engine and 4 speed auto trans, with hard and soft tops, with less than 100K miles, and not beat up on the inside or outside. The 4 speed tranny didn't come along until 2003, I see, so that probably means a Jeep with one of those is outside my budget. Sounds like the 3 speed auto wouldn't be too bad, it's just that the 4 speed is better. Despite your warnings, I think I'd like to get one that's already lifted 4" -- as long as I feel comfortable that it was done well. As was suggested, I'll check out the underside the best I can.

I only had a couple of folks come back with comments on the craigslist posting I mentioned, but I'm still open to more comments as that's one of my leading candidates right now.

Regarding the Bear 98 Wrangler, you're right...he did not list the lift. But he said in an email that it is a Skyjacker 2" lift. And yes, he said he'd throw in the soft top. Thanks for your input. Maybe I can get him down on the price a bit. It seems like a well cared for unit all around, but who really knows for sure.

By the way, what the heck is a "locking converter?" The owner describes his Jeep as an auto 3 speed, which he says sometimes people call a 4 speed because of the locking converter. Sorry to be ignorant...is this important?

Well, your opinions very much matter to me. Just in the few replies I've read so far I've learned a lot. Apparently, I'd do well to lean toward the 6 cylinder for a high mileage used Wrangler, even if I'll get beat up at the gas pump. (Fortunately, I don't plan on this being my daily driver.) And I guess I'm not getting the deal I hoped for with my friend's 97 for $6000. I wouldn't have known that without your input.

Just today I've found two 1998 Wranglers on Craiglist that really interest me. If anyone has the time and interest....one in Bear listed for $8000 (posting #446563741, and one in Manassas listed for $7400 (posting #471750170)...I'd like to hear from you DEJA folks with your gut feelings about those posts.

And I suppose I'll do more with the Wrangler than cruise to Walmart. Conquering rocks and trails is cool -- that could be me one day.

Budget numbers? I guess I left that out of my post, didn't I. I'm thinking $6,000 to $8000, depending on how it's equipped. I've got one Wrangler in my back pocket and am looking to do better....my friend will sell me his 1997, 2.5 liter 4 cyl with 97000 miles for $6,000. It has a Bestop soft top, but otherwise is pretty basic. He let me drive it for a day yesterday, and I discovered a fairly slow oil leak, which I'm told is common in Wranglers. Since I'm not a mechanic, a solid engine is important. My hope is to jack the sucker up 4" with a suspension lift, because just like you I want to look cool as a go to Walmart. Should have said all that in my initial post...sorry about that!

My first DEJA post! Have never owned a Wrangler, but am looking hard to purchase a used one. Could use a little help...Is there a certain model year where there were significant improvements and changes? Am not a backyard mechanic and have no intentions of tearing a motor apart. This will be a second "hobby" vehicle for me, I just want a relatively trouble-free experience. (Won't be crawlin' any rocks any time soon.) For example, when did EFI replace carbs on the motors? Also, should I stay away from the 4 cylinder motor? The auto transmission? Inquiring minds want to know! Your advice is appreciated. Thanks millions.