Posts by Slimer

Sounds like you got your holiday weekend full of things to do. I'll hopefully have mine back on the road tomorrow or Monday. I have to fill it with fluids, put the valve cover on, install the battery and starter, and a few other things I may have forgotten about.

Whoever designed the intake and exhaust manifolds for the in-line 6 was a WHACK JOB! What a P.I.A.! The oil pan and gaskets are also a royal pain!

Quote from "BBD"

Step Five: don't put the bolt back in that way go in from the outside

I'd have to argue this point. If you put the bolt in from the outside how will you ever drive it out again if needed? You won't get a good swing with the hammer from inside the frame rail because the gas tank is in the way. I guess you could try to use a pry bar or pickle fork but I can't see that being easier.

Typically the bolt won't budge from the bushing because it has rusted in place. Even though there isn't a metal sleeve in the shackle bushings, the bolts rust and the rusted portion is gripped by the bushing due to years of the vehicles weight bearing down on it. I would only kill the bushing is I couldn't get the bolt to budge at all.

It sounds like you have it coming out but ran out of room due to the gas tank. In that case I'd either grind or sawzall the bolt in half in order to make room for more of it to come out.

You may need to use some sort of puller. Yoke nuts are put on super tight if I recall. See if a cheapo steering wheel puller from Pep Boys would work. They are basically a round piece of metal with holes (or slots) cut in that bolts go through to screw into the piece being pulled. There is also a larger center bolt that you crank down on and it pushes against the shaft and essentially pulls the peice off the shaft.

Why does it seem that the Crank Position Sensors on TJs seem to go bad a lot? DeJeep Girl just had this problem, MDJeepchic had the problem a year or so ago.....

It sounds like it might be worthwhile to carry a spare one around.

Sounds great. I went up for the later competition last year and didn't see any roll overs. It was pretty awesome though. Will they have to go up the rock wall? Last year there was a rock wall about 100 ft high that the rail jobs were going on. It was real steap.

If you have a carb, check your carb linkages. Do you have a manual choke? Check to make sure it isn't stuck closed.

Check your fuel filter. Make sure you didn't knock any hoses loose when you were cleaning things. Did you get the distributer wet?

Go on the Jeeps Unlimited sight and do a search. The subject of one peice axles come up frequently, as well as some problems with the installations.

Any idea what events they are having on what days? I went down last year hoping to see the figure 8 racing and found out that it would be on the following day. :upset:

Good idea, but the receiver part will make it off balance unless you put one of the legs on it. Instead of making the legs detachable why not make them fold up and lock in with a pin. That way they would be self contained. I have some 4x4 think wall box channel you can use.

Good thing you are getting experienced. I'll keep you in mind when (or if) I rewire mine. :chicken:

Acutally, if I do mine I'm going to go aftermarket. I did one before and it was pretty easy. It only took two of us about 8 hours to figure out what we were doing and run all the wires.