Posts by Slimer

As was said, the motor will draw peak power at start up just to get the thing going. BUT, since you are talking about an air compressor, it will probably also draw peak power as the tank pressure increases because it will work harder to move the compressed air. It sounds too simple for it not to be thought out before.

As some of you know, Slimer's been having problems with exhaust smoke puffing like a choo, choo from the vavle cover. A compression check revealed that cylinder 4 only had 40 psi compression while the other 5 cylinders were between 140 psi, and 150 psi. Removing the head revealed this:

If you look closely (see the link below) you can see part of the piston is gone, revealing the top ring. After yanking the piston I can feel a bit of a "wallow" carved out in the cylinder wall. Why this happened so soon after a rebuild is beyond me. I'm not sure if it something I did wrong during assembly or maybe I bought a bad piston.

My neighbor, who is an old mechanic, feels that I should be able to hone it and slap a new piston in. At this point I am still skeptical but I am willing to give it a try.

http://deja.27chickens.com/gal…/500/38DSCF0026-thumb.JPG

I always considered a Saber saw and Jig saw to be the same. But a Sawzall is something totally different although they work much the same way.

If you want to make quick work of it use a 4½" grinder with a 1/16" cutting blade for all the straight sections. Then you just need the saw (which ever type you choose...jig saw) to cut the corners.

Be sure to leave enough extra metal on the fender so that you can bend a lip underneath for added rigidity.

Andrew, take a hammer to the bottom lip. You probably peeled the cover back a bit. You might want to just pull the cover and bang the lip flat on the garage floor. Then use some RTV to seal it up again.

By the time you hook up the cat, muffler, and over the axle pipe all you need is a short straight length to make up the difference to the header. It's pretty much a straight shot back.

Sometimes being a pack rat pays off. I knew that rubber would come in handy. That's why I didn't throw it out when the experiments we used it for was all over. I also saved 20 gallons of antifreeze they wanted me to dispose of. :mrgreen:

Fortunately it spun the same way. Some motors route the belts differently causing a different rotation of the fan and water pump.

The next time I brake down I'll make sure I'm by BBD's house so I can get a free dinner too. :rollsmile: Glad you made it home. How many miles are on your vehicle? Usually water pumps are good for 100,000 miles.

Associated truck parts off of rt. 273 (by Rambleton Acres). They do good work but sometimes you have to wait a week or so. How long of a drive shaft do you need? I have a few lengths, you might get lucky. Of course mine have u-joints at both ends.

I was thinking of putting an extra set of lights on for fog but you need to mount them lower which means they would get smashed on the rocks (during one of the few times I get to go out on the trail).

Since I switched IPF H4 bulbed head lights the lights are brighter than ever. I just wish my beam adjusters worked.