Posts by Mabus

Ok, I'm in. Sounds like a lot of fun.

I'm interested in the ride but not the camping part. I'm a novice and never been to the Barrens but this sounds like a lot of fun. My JK is my DD and is just stock (everything) so this might be a good opportunity to have some fun and get a little dirty without trying to push my limits too far. I've driven on the beach for surf fishing for years but please let me know what else I should bring or equip for this kind of trip as I'm clueless (but willing to learn!). For example, would it be a good idea take out the carpet?

I'd like not to show up and have someone say, "Why didn't you _____?" and feel like an idiot cause it's my first time with something like this. What may seem obvious because you've done this before and once you're out there might not be so obvious ahead of time to me. I've driven a 4WD for about 15 years but never "real" off road driving. Really, I'm adventurous and willing to get dirty but not too sure if there's something I might not be aware of and should do to prepare and want to avoid any pitfalls. I just want to have fun and not hold anybody else back. Any help or advice is much appreciated. :shrug:

Maybe I'm just dreaming, but it would be nice to have someplace public other than the beach to explore with my Jeep in Delaware.

lol, had to throw it out there. I figured once it's out of private hands and into the gubment system, there'd be a sliver of a chance since some of them allow it.

I'm a new forum member so I apologize if this is not in the right thread. Today's paper mentions the upcoming designation by the President of a three part National Monument in Delaware (a possible precursor to a Nat'l Park and administered by the Nat'l Park Service). One peice is the large Woodlawn property. Once it transfers to Federal possession, does anyone think there would be a possibility of lobbying for some ORV trails to be created? I know it's prohibited now, but the Nat'l Park Service will be in control and I thought groups such as this and the many others in nearby areas would be supportive. Maybe I'm just dreaming, but it would be nice to have someplace public other than the beach to explore with my Jeep in Delaware.

Haha, I'm not much of a fisherman myself. I think it is a freshwater rod. It's a 7' skinny two-piece rod that my father got as a gift in the '70s from a dude from Mexico (no brand name printed on it) & a fairly cheap Shakespeare reel I bought in the '80s. My wife's rod & reel is saltwater and much nicer but we didn't bring it this trip cause it is one-piece and didn't fit inside the Jeep too well. :/
    This pic was taken at Beach Plum Island, so hence the tiny waves in the background. It was my first (and possibly my last) time there. Didn't get a bite all day. I'd been at different places in "real" Cape Henlopen in my Liberty and wanted to check out something different for my first trip with the Wrangler. The ride to get there reminded me of the Outer Banks so I thought I'd try it. I liked that it had very few people there, but the bugs about ate us up in the afternoon. The thing on the antenna was a gift from my daughter. It's a little smiley face dude in a Philadelphia Eagles helmet. I'm a diehard Eagles fan (sad I know) and tailgate at most of their home games. Below is a pic of my Eagles themed Mancave

Thanks again for the warm welcomes. This seems like a very friendly site :).
    Ok, here goes...My Jeep (pre-mods) at CHSP...

While I loved my Liberty and I miss some of the creature comforts like electric windows, locks, etc, there's nothing like a Wrangler with the top down :)

Thanks. I have a 23 yo son & 13 yo daughter at home and a 21 yo step-son in the USAF (stationed in S. Korea at the moment).

As far as the pic problem, I tried to share a link from Facebook but it didn't work, probably due to privacy settings or it's just not a photo sharing site. I'll get one out soon enough!

In looking through the threads I noticed the meetings are at Stewart's. That is awesome cause it's right down the street from me and I love the place. Al Stewart graduated a year ahead of me in HS (same year as my youngest sister). I think it's a sign I have to join DeJA!

Hi all! I'm Joe from Bear. I enjoy surf fishing in my Wrangler. While searching for someplace in northern Delaware to do some 4 wheeling, I ran across this site. My last vehicle was a Jeep Liberty which also handled well on the sand. With three kids I needed 5 seat belts so the Wrangler had to wait. Now that the boys are older, I finally got the Wrangler last year & I'm loving it.
    I see others have avatars of their Jeeps and other pics. When I go to update my profile there is no option to add an avatar (only a radio button next to "No Avatar"). Is there some secret I need to know to be able to upload a pic of my Wrangler on the beach?

Thanks!