Posts by Way of the Jeep

I am at work now, so can't mess around with it too much yet. But just going to Ubuntu website, it looks like a desktop interface, similar to Windows.

Does it have a Linux command prompt you can drop to?

On 2nd thought, I am going run with Ubuntu virtuabox at least for 6 months or so to get a good feel and comfort level with Linux. Down the road maybe I will try out Kali.

So with the VM, I don't need to partition my HD for LINUX or anything? Is it essentially like running any other program?

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I think I go with LINUX Kali which I believe is Debian based.

I dont necessarily want to use the easiest, because I am not making this my new OS, but learning it for professional reasons.

I understand that Kali (a follow up to Backtrack) has penetration and hacking tools. Ultimate I want to learn this stuff as their a lot of jobs popping up for network security and ethical hacking etc, particularly in the military/government sector.

I think I will go with the CD/Thumbdrive method for now, as I dont want to actually use LINUX for my daily computing.

I read somewhere Windows8 prevents other OS's from loading? Anyone experience that?

I might try that Raspberry Pi thing... a guy in the Army thats an expert at this stuff also uses the Pi

Any LINUX users on here?

I am looking at getting started. Some people have suggested to download LINUX Kali.

Do you guys use it on a separate computer, or do you partition your HD for both OS's?

I am thinking of just running a virtual machine now, or running it off a solid state external drive.

Lastly, anyone know good tutorials to follow to learn? I am pretty strong with computers and grew up on MS-DOS so I know my way around a command prompt.

Anyone upgrade to Android 5.0 yet?

I know my G3 is supposedly scheduled to get that push in the next week, I haven't paid attention to the other phones.

Apparently has "SMART LOCK" feature can use facial recognition as part of it.

Picked up the G3 this weekend and love it so far. Great screen, overall fast and responsive. OK Google is great. And it will upgrade to Android 5.0 soon. :up:

Looks like a good phone if it goes for the standard $200 with 2 year contract renewal. I'm gonna wait till cyber monday and decide between Nexus and LG G3.

I am looking at getting a LG G3. With Sprint upgrade it still comes out to $199. Is that consistent with what other carriers are charging? I just want to make sure I am not getting hosed.

Eh, its kind of the cycle of life for any company really. Apple releases a new Iphone every year, Samsung a new Galaxy. Auto companies release new models every year, and about every 5 years completely change their existing models.

But in this case Microsoft had huge swing and a miss with Windows 8, and is now trying to get back to their previous success. At least they are making 9 free for the 8 sufferers.

So 8.1 is starting to win me over. Its very strong and convenient on multi-tasking. Allows me to switch between different things much faster than older versions of Windows. The APPs are starting to come a long too, but still have a way to go.

I am enjoying the hell out of the Youtube Download App which allows me to download videos and music from Youtube. I am stocking my MP3 player. Not quite sure how this is legit, but apparently it is.

I use it occasionally, not bad. Definitely makes forum usage easier from phone. Generally I will just wait to get home to use a forum, but if I am stuck in line or waiting in car on wife in store or something, it comes in handy.

IE 11 will be out very soon.

I used Firefox for years and liked it a lot. But my new laptop is Full HD 1080p and Firefox doesn't seem to work as well with it. Displays are always a little off.