Posts by tedsbumper

Never had any issue with my M-700. But having said that, I don't shoot it a lot. It's a like a border collie, it needs room to run and Delaware is a 4th floor apartment. I should just pony up the dough and join Bridgeville so I can shoot the 600 yard range. But what I have shot is mostly NATO rounds.

Something inexpensive in a rifle; I have always been a fan of the Remington Model 700. Dicks runs sales on some nice models from time to time for around 400. Not as heavy as the Mosin, but then again, it'll be a lot easier to lug around all day. The Model 700 is accurate right out of the box, available in several calibres. I have a .308 because that's the std. NATO issue sniper round. Not that I care about sniping, but every NATO member country has stockpiled these rounds for decades. That means you will always be able to buy ceap, surplus ammo. Savage and Marlin also have reputations for being out of the box accurate.
    For a .22, I love Marlins. I have two bolt-action .22WMRs and they are tack drivers...but I'm getting ready to spring for a .17HMR simply because of the improved ballistics; faster and flatter trajectories. But I can't say enough about how much fun I have shooting my Marlin .22WMRs. Point it at whatever you want to shoot and you will hit it...dead-on. The XT17-VR has a composite stock and a heavy barrel and you can get them for a $285. So a wood-stock, std. barrel should cost considerably less.

:laughabove:

That is what the manual said at least. I havent been enough of a man to try anything other than kerosene. For obvious reasons.

Really?! The manual said that? There are stories of houses burning down when people run out of kerosene and get desperate and add other fuels. Yowza!

I use a Torpedo heater from northern tool that i picked up a few years back. It works amazingly well and you can mix in old fuels that you have lying around too.

What's your address exactly? I have friends at Sta 83 - Millsboro and I just want to give them a heads up about the awesome indoor bonfire you're going to be hosting soon.

Come out to a couple DeJA events and meet some people. See who's up for it. Check out the GWNF reports including the trail ride reports. These guys go camping out there twice a year and I see no reason you couldn't fit in some hiking. There's actually a nice mountain-top trail that leaves right fom the campground in Brandywine.

There's some OHV parks west of Shenandoah that you can wheel and Shenandoah NP itself has lots of dog-friendly campgrounds and trails. Additionally, there's some more remote campgrounds and trails just over in WV and lots of trails that DeJA travels during their regular GWNF trips.

Very nice. I don't really need the main vehicle once I get where I'm camping. I just want a secure base station and to go riding the bikes from there. I can throw food and supplies in a side case on my way back to camp.

Where I'm having trouble is finding a balance between my criteria that works well and there's not really a market for what i want so there's not a perfect solution.
    What I need is:
    1. Easily maneagable behind the Jeep at highway speeds...so lightweight and brake kit.
    2. Rugged enough frame and suspension to get yanked up to someplace like say Flagpole Knob.
    3. Some way to carry two dual sport motorcycles in a manner that they can be unloaded without falling on me and crushing me miles from an ER.
    4. Secure enough to offer some protection from bears, mountain lions, sasquatch, etc.
    A pop-up with a toy deck seems to get the closest because the pop-up by nature will fit through areas overgrown with low branches and the Jayco Baja I posted has somewhat better suspension. But like I said, I may just end up with a rooftop tent and a simple utility trailer for the bikes. That will also fit the bill.

I didn't see that coming from you. Change of heart Trey? ;)

The girlfriend is buying one! 4-door gecko green probably. The ex-wife once told me she'd never drive a Jeep because, "there's just something about those kind of women." You damn right there is, you frigid bitch!
    I will likely hold out to see if the model re-do on '16 or '17 finally has the pickup and diesel option as the Jeep insiders are hinting it will. That will be my changeover to big jeeps. My LJ should last til then.
    Billy, I'd think a pop-up with a slide-out would do fine. Plus you can get it up fire roads and such. If not, some of the new ultra-lights like the KZ are plenty light enough for a JK and actually cost less than a lot of pop-ups.

My current options are to go with a rooftop tent when I get a JK 4-door and just a utility trailer to haul the trail bikes...or the Jayco pop-up. I typically only camp in the mountains so AC isn't really a big deal to me. I'd just like to have a place to sit at night and play cards.

For the money, I'd rather yank this around:

Not as compact for offroading, but I'm not looking to stuff a camper in a very uncomfortable place. I would however like to bring an ATV or two motorcycles with me. For that scratch, I'd rather keep what you already have.

There's a sandblasting shop on Hartly Rd just west of Dover. Pretty good work. Saw a lot of good restoration projects going on while I was there trying to put out their building fire a few years ago.