Posts by Mudflaps

I've seen a few videos on the interwebs that make it look pretty easy. Apply Brand X goop, hit them with an electric buffer set to ?000 rpm, presto chango clear as new. But has anyone here actually done it (or tried it)?

If so, spill the beans on what you used (and where you got it) and how it turned out. Mine are pretty scuffed up and it would be nice to have some more visibility, especially out the back. Thanks in advance.

p.s. if no one has any advices, but has a spare side window or something that they'll let me practice on, I'll be test subject/experimenter and file a full report (with 8x10 color glossy photos with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one)

It was hard to hear everyone, even in the small space. I ordered a bourbon on the rocks and got a SMALL glass and was charged $7.00 for it. Food was pretty good and affordable for the portion sizes. And I agree, they did a good job with the service, especially if they didn't realize we had such a large group. With that said, I may be able to suggest some other locations, as I used to coordinate meetings for various Harley clubs in the area.

Otherwise, it was good to meet a few people and put faces to screen names. And of course, seeing all the Jeeps in the parking lot was cool. Look forward to getting out on the trail at RC later this month.

Interesting... I got a set of the Coverking neoprene covers for Christmas from Qtec and haven't installed them yet. Sorry to hear that they might not be the best option given the high price.

Right now I have a pair of cheap fleece seat covers on there (they were on clearance for $10 each at Kmart) which have held up surprisingly well... they fit nice and tight, and I haven't seen any signs of wear despite the long rough winter.

I was planning on swapping the two pairs summer/winter, but if I'm not happy with the neoprenes when I put them on, they are going back, especially since the top is almost never up during the warm weather and it does get wet fairly frequently, although I have replacement vinyl seats, which are OK in the rain (I went with covers because some of the seat seams were ripping and I repaired them with Gorilla tape and needed to hide the fix).

I'm going crazy right now trying to find something to fit the new Saab convertible...

There is no such thing as a stock yj rear bumper. They all came with bumperettes. I reccomend buying a decent bumper or putting a hook on the frame rail like a stock tj. Post a pic of your bumper. If done right u may be able to weld in a shackle tab. All depends on how thick it is and how it attaches to the frame.

I may have been confused. I thought the bumperettes bolted onto the "bumper"... but from what I'm reading in your post, however, it seems that it's actually a frame crossmember that holds the bumperettes (and the skid plate). If that's the case, then perhaps the TJ style set-up is what I'm trying to accomplish... if anyone has a picture of that, it would probably help so that I can better understand how that works. I'm not looking to replace the bumper (trying to keep Mudflaps as "stock" as possible) and since I'm not planning to take her off-road, the only reason I'm thinking of adding a rear tow/winch point would be for emergency purposes (i.e. sliding off into a ditch from an icy roadway, etc).

The gas tank strap bolts are the 2 longest ones. They are welded to the tank straps. Do not remove those nuts u will just break the straps. Remove the other 4 nuts and let the tank and skid drop down enough to get to the bumper bolts.

Thanks... good info to not mess with the longer ones. I was really only asking about the shorter ones, as I'd like to use those exposed studs to mount some auxiliary back-up lights. My question was more if they were "keyed" into the frame rail (what I was calling the bumper) so they don't spin, or if I needed to find some way to get a wrench in there to hold the head of the bolt as I loosened the nuts.

Has anyone added rear towpoints (shackles, etc) to a stock YJ bumper? If so, where did you mount them and how did you rig them up? Pics and details would be great if you've done it (or seen it done) would be great?

Also, are the bolts that hold the gas tank skid plate to the bumper the ones that have the squared off sleeve (and therefore when you put a wrench on the exposed nut, the bolts don't turn) or are they regular bolts (and if so, how do you get a wrench on the head, aside from removing the bumper)?

I am just about done with the install of my CB system and have a few leftover parts that I thought I would need but really didn't... and it's past the 30 day return policy, so I'm stuck with them unless someone else can use them. I will most likely be at the meeting next weekend so we could do the deal there.

Magnetic Antenna - this is a small CB antenna that attaches to your vehicle magnetically. Great if you don't want to install a permanent hookup. Includes cable and connector - $10.00

Antenna Stud - the connector between a CB cable and the antenna. You would bolt this through some kind of bracket or directly into your vehicle. - $5.00

Antenna Spring - 4" spring that goes between the antenna stud and the antenna, and gives it more flexibility (to avoid damage to the antenna) when riding off-road. - $5.00

12' CB cable - connectors on both ends, this should be long enough for most installations from the dash to the roof or front fenders. - $5.00

Woke up this morning (hungover, as usual) and decided to spend the day tinkering with Mudflaps. Installed a new CB antenna (a 5' FireStik), and then started in on a set of fog lamps up front. Shorebird Randy showed up and we killed some time talking (and had a few beers), and then I headed over to a buddy's garage, where we installed the new "upgraded" alternator and had a few beers while looking at a couple little things that might need attention soon. Then off to the Elks lodge for some post-wrenching beers and then to another buddy's for a bonfire with beef and oysters (and beers). So aside from the alternator, nothing got finished, except for a few beers. But still... better than most weekend days this winter!

Anyone interested in going to Jack Frost for the WMMR Cardboard Classic on Friday March 7th? Lift tickets are $9.33 for the day, and usually the slopes are pretty wide open in the morning as most people go to the tubing hill to watch the sleds rather than actually ski/ride. I picked up two passes just now (even though I'm not definite that I can go) but if I can work it out I'll be there.