Posts by Quantum73

I am glad you went that route instead of modifying the one I had to hold the 37. It probably would have worked ok, but then again, I would hate to see the whole assembly go careening down the highway at the car behind you when you hit a bump. The spindle Zach uses is stout and will hold up well. :up:

I don't know what that is supposed to mean.... :driving: But if you mean badass driving style, then yes. You are correct sir. :up:

No, I do not mean "badass driving style". What I mean is that did you ever see him drag that poor poor rig on 33's along behind Billy and Aaron on trails? Lol. Was not pretty. He did it, but it was hard to watch sometimes. :innocent: And believe me, I caught enough shit from Sal for parking my rig and watching when he was giving it a go in his...

How many times have you upgraded your Jeep? The same principle applies here. This tent build is the equivalent to 40's and one tons on a jeep.

Good analogy. I know how much I spent on my jeep, and I know I am far from the only one to put that kind of investment into one. I have money in the Tacoma but not anywhere near what I put into the Jeep, so now I put money into the tent and overall camp setup.

Here's the more detailed scoop. I have a Wife, kid, 2 large dogs, and a bunch of camping gear/supplies to haul around. This tent, like my current one, sets up in 10 minutes (30 for setting up the whole camp). With the upgraded OME suspension, the Tacoma hauls it all with ease now (not the case stock). This tent also has 2 separate interior areas with sturdy floors that will even take a moderate snow load. So, with this new setup, I can sleep all of us, including a pack n play, with electric heat, quite comfortably. And if the weather sucks, we still have a pretty large interior area to amuse ourselves. On top of all that, I also have a 12x12 Easy-Up to house the camp kitchen and supplies. I have done the nightmare of arriving on a site then having to set up either in the dark, or in crappy weather, and I am no fan. So, I try to take the stress out of the trip, make camping a more enjoyable experience for all involved, which in turn leads to more camping because the Wife has fun. So it is a win win win in my book and money well spent. :)

Plus what you invested in the previous tent. I guess you need the trailer to haul around your moneybags! :razz:

Yes, but like with Jeep associated items, there is an excellent market for used but well-maintained expedition stuff. That tent and custom lid are hot commodities and I will just about break even on my initial investment. :)

No, that tent is $3600 with the options I am getting. Lol. And yes, these are tents with lifespans in decades, not years. For what I want it is absolutely perfect. :) I hope to bring it to some DEJA event in the near future so folks can check it out. I should have it installed and ready to go in about 2 weeks for a test run in MD.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

I imagine it is similar to a breakaway box for the brakes. I have mine hooked to the running lights so it charges when I have the lights on. I did it this way because I always drive with my lights on plus it would charge no matter who's truck was pulling it as not everyone has the aux pin powered in the 7-way plug. Have you thought about a solar charger so its ready to go anytime?

I think you are correct in what I have, it is like a breakaway box. Although my blue wire is always on for the 7-pin so it sounds like I may not need anything else. I have thought about solar, but I was going bigger to charge quicker while camping. However, I may do a smaller solar panel to leave up all the time to keep the battery topped off.

Question for the peanut gallery. Can anyone explain to me how to send charging power to the trailer battery through the trailer harness from the truck a "safe" way? I don't need the trailer battery to do anything other than take a charge when the truck is running, and disconnect to run the trailer when I set up camp. I have a device which is supposed to do something like that, but it is currently packed in boxes in the garage, so I will post what it is when I find it. Lol. It also seems like nothing more than a quick disconnect power cable from the trailer harness to a second battery.

[size=2]Ok, so to bring this build back from the dead, here are some updates. First, I am lowering the trailer to accommodate a new tent. Need to get it to roughly stock deck height to make this fit:[/size]

[size=2]http://oztrailnorthamerica.com/OR375_OR.html[/size]

[size=2]I am also purchasing the sun room walls and floor so the fully enclosed space is pretty huge, and high enough to easily stand in. This new tent actually comes with a lid, latches, and access to the trailer from under the bunk. Very cool. It is bigger, and may present some challenge for setup in smaller areas, but for the family it will be perfect. [/size]

[size=2]That will entail putting the axle back on top of the leafs, smaller tires, and some other minor adjustments. On a plus side, I will get to use the parking brake again as the brackets will once again fit. I am likely going to be putting my current tent and aluminum lid up for sale and both are in like-new condition, as many of you can attest to from the 2013 Club Comp RC trip. These will bolt right on to a CDN M101 or US M416 trailer for those of you interested. [/size] ;)

[size=2]As for the new build, I will be adding some LED's (with individual on/off and dimmers) inside, a solar charger, battery box, and fused distribution center for power. I also hope to get the rear area and tailgate boxed in with 1x1 square tubing, add some permanent hinges/latches to the tailgate, and replace the current trailer deck with a piece of diamond plate. The nice thing about my current RTT setup is I [/size]can put it up with almost no extra footprint but I think the trade-off is well worth it. Anyways, pics in 2 weeks when the new tent is here. ;D

Come take a look

Look Bud, I've got no dog in this fight but if you want to sell this, you need to provide the standard information, including pictures. And you need to respond with more than a single word or sentence fragment. And to say "come take a look", shoot, you don't even list a location. I know Andy posted a Craigslist link but is that even your Jeep and is the location correct? Expect this to continue to be a yard ornament if you can't even be bothered to provide the most basic info.

Looking for some new tires for my 5.9L ZJ. Need 'em on the cheap. Looking for 30" or 31" (245/75R16) all terrains for a 16" wheel. If they come with wheels they need to be 5x4.5" bolt pattern.

Thanks!

I have a set of 4 265x70r16 BFG T/A's with about 90% tread and no damage (came off my Tacoma). Currently the tires are in Dover, but I am near Annapolis. If they are of interest, PM me with a number they are worth to you, and perhaps we can make something happen.

Going to something that big is going to show where the weak spots in your drivetrain are. That's a lot of mass to turn. The tires are cheap but then you'll need to regear the axles, probably upgrade your brakes, you may want to go with wider axles to prevent hitting your frame while turning.....

Don't waste your breath on "logic" here, that is pure crazy talk... :innocent:

Like Brian said, he is running these off an existing sPod/Source on-off switch, which already has the relay built-in. So it is just a matter of connecting 2 wires to it and calling it a day from the switch standpoint.