Posts by Andy in Pa

The only real advantage is the cool value. Also its fully under the tub. Honestly i would not recomend it. The tuning is very difficult and the fit is very tight. King shock has been very helpfull and knowledgeable thats why i switched to them. The radflo tech support was lacking. Also you can see a big differnce in how they are assembled and the parts they use. I actually had king valve the triple bypass (tb)backwards because if you look at it when the axle goes in compression the tb extends and the coilover compresses. I would be much simple and less expensive to just run 4 ori stuts and punch the rear ones through the body. You really have to see it in person and in action to see how complicated and cool it is. Btw the candilever itself is very difficult to design and build.

My friends goal was to try to have something long travel, but not punch into the interior space of the XJ. I thought about it and even sketched a few things out on paper and your right, the cantilever was complicated especially with the limited space on an XJ. And yes, making the shocks work opposite on their compression/rebound pound ratings was a bit of a showstopper too. I'm digging your design though, nice job!!

Cool, I want to check that out at Anthracite. I am curious to hear your opinion on how it works after you do some test and tuning. I was talking to a friend recently who was interested in building his rear suspension on his XJ like that. I had it mostly designed in my head, but using leaf springs. It would be a tight fit under the rear of an XJ. I haven't read up on this type of suspension yet. What benefits should this setup have? (Besides the obvious of keeping $$$$ shocks away from rocks :mrgreen: )

1. daddanelena im in and will camp I will do 2 day trip too!
    2. Whatevah - Green/blues
    3. Stomper- camping
    4. JKRanger08-camping
    5.hookedonthebay + 1
    6. Solomi - will do any trails, leaving sat morning.
    7. KnoxRents - hard stuff if possible, just a tour if not, camping Friday night
    8. Hagar The Horrible +1- Greens/Blues
    9. Shorebird- camping Fri. & Sat. @ Irish Valley, Blue trails
    10. cj8 - camping Fri. & Sat. @ Irish Valley, Green / Blue Trails
    11. Buster Stewart
    12. Astape, should be good for a 2 day trip
    13. 2000sahara, Im a definate maybe. Prob head up on Sat morn
    14 Jeffsjk- heading up Sat morning as long as my gears are done and that's the only thing that is broken
    15 Andy in Pa. Not camping- Blues (mostly want to see the place and check out what is there)

How mechanical is your friend? The cheapest thing to do would be to get a set of rear S-10 springs, and build a bastard pack using the XJ main, and possibly add in an extra spring to HD it a bit. Only use one or two S-10 springs, because more than that and he'll end up with more lift than he wants. Also, I believe that Q-tec has an HD pack of leafs for the XJ too. Have him check his leaf eye bushings. They could be shot as well. A set of poly bushings would help if he decides to rebuild his spring packs.

Count me in. I have been wanting to check this place out for a while, and have also been wanting to wheel with you gents as well. Not sure which Jeep I'll have. I'll either trailer up the XJ, or drive the WJ up. XJ is "point and shoot", WJ will handle most things up to a hard blue trail.
    A.

1. NitroRubi +1 (camping)
    2. Whatevah - Green/blues
    3. Stomper
    4. JKRanger08
    5. hookedonthebay + 1
    6. Solomi - will do any trails, probably be camping also (fri night)
    7. KnoxRents - hard stuff if possible, just a tour if not, camping Friday night
    8. Hagar The Horrible +1- Greens/Blues
    9. Shorebird
    10. JKGray10 - Tentative (I won't know for sure until we are closer to the date)
    11. cj8 - Tenative & camping (if so)
    12. Buster Stewart
    13. 92 Renegade
    14. Andy in Pa. Will do any trails, depends on which Jeep I have

Check out the sponsors on www.naxja.org There are many manuf's to choose from... JCR Offroad, AJ's Armor, Rustys Offroad are just a few I can think of right now. You can probably find numerous threads on there about XJ rear bumpers too.

A.

The Timberlines or the Cragars?

I have a set of 1.25" spacers but I took them off...don't know if they had anything to do with my drag link end going bad or not. All I knew was the loose end started when I put them on. We'll see how it looks with just the rims first.

No, I guess they are not the Timberlines, they are these wheels.
    The spacers didn't cause the tie rod to fail, although I am sure the added width exacerbated a loose tie rod end. whether you run the spacers or wider rims, it will have the same affect on the wear parts (tie rods, wheel bearings...etc..) Running a 5" backspaced rim on a 16x8 wheel will give you approx. 1.5" wider width too.

I have the same wheels, and used the 1.5" spacers (got them cheap so it was the best deal for me). My tires stick out almost as much as the stance your looking for with 265-75-16's.

A little OT, but the WJ rear D35 is a non-c-clip axle? Didn't know that. I'll have to check that out when I have mine apart again.

On topic... Yes, astape is right, a slide hammer is needed sometimes to get the seals/bearings and such to let go on a high mileage non-c-clip axle that hasn't ever been apart before...
    A.

It looks like Team 222 got a DNF. They have been sitting in the same spot on course for a while now. Here is a link to the tracker to follow along. It sounds like this will stay running all night to make sure everyone gets off course safely.
    http://vulcain.iritrack.net/irc/eviewer/EMC-2013/
    Unfortunately, only one "stock" rig made it to the finish in the allotted time. The rest were DNF'ed. Only 5 or 6 of the "stock-mod" group made it too. Apparently, there was talk last year of the course being too easy, so they really upped the hardness and length.

Fabbed up some T-case drop blocks for my Cherokee. Hopefully it gets rid of the vibrations and I can go back to driving it. Going to install them tonight. Need to cut the headliner out too until I get around to replacing it, it's hanging on my head.

Stapler for the headliner for temp fix. If you pull the fabric off, you'll have glue and other things flaking off and falling on your head. And no headliner = noisey.

I noticed the PCV valve was pushed so far into the valve cover it was touching metal in the engine. Could that cause blowby? I pulled it out some.. Still sits where it should, and i haven't noticed any blowby since.. Only about 100 miles.

It will cause blow-by on the non-HO 4.0L's in XJ's... I had that same problem with an 88 XJ.

Also, check the other vent line on the valve cover (if its the same as the newer 4.0's). If it is corroded or blocked, the vent pressure will push out the breather line and push oil in the filter. This is a common problem on the newer 4.0's with high mileage... if the smaller line is blocked it will do the same thing as your describing.

Shawn check your cables to and from the battery. I have had a problem like that in the past and it was a bad battery cable. This can really be a problem if your cables have the molded ends on them.

X3 with the cables... If there is corrosion, it may not be making a good contact. I would pull off and clean up both pos and neg on the battery and re-install. What type of cable clamp did you put on the neg clamp? If its the kind with the 3/8's bolts on top (holds the wire "tight" in the clamp, but the clamp is not soldered to the wire), check those bolts to make sure they are tight.

Depends on what you want to use it for. I have an 03 WJ with a 3" lift, 4.10's and a rear locker. It is a great DD'er right now, and family wheeler. It will run blue trails and some blacks all day long. It still has all of the factory control arms, including the rear upper A-arm. Keep an eye on your rear upper A-arm, they like to blow out the bushings faster when you start lifting it. The previous owner of this Jeep had just replaced it on mine, so I should be good for a while. If your WJ has high miles, you may want to check it out/replace it. The lift was an IRO with springs, shocks, 1" TC drop, and misc hardware. I tentatively plan to switch out the factory control arms/A-arm for something aftermarket, but have not found anything I really like yet. I am not a fan of the IRO stuff (I didn't put this lift on) because of the strange adjustable front UCA's they offer.
    The front CV axle shafts scare me a bit, I will be switching them out for alloy u-joint shafts eventually. Also, the CV in the front driveshaft too. I need to see if a XJ or TJ front shaft will swap in if I change out the front output on the t-case (mine has a 242 TC). I can see myself swapping in a set of 4" springs and aftermarket control arms, but I don't think mine will ever get any bigger than that. See pic below, lousey cell phone pic, but you get the idea. It runs 265-75-16's with no wheel spacers and no rubbing. Still run the rear sway bar too.

I'l probably organize a trip. I'm going to be too excited to wait until Janary to get my new tires on the rocks. I'll start another thread as soon as I figure out my schedule for the month to determine the date.

Been trying to get out with you guys the past few trips you have made to RC, but I am in the process of re-doing a bunch of cagework on the XJ, so it has been under the knife for a few months. I do have a 2nd "family wheeler" now... a WJ w/3" of lift, 4.10's and a rear locker. I have had it to RC already, and its like wheeling an easy chair, its so smooth!! Maybe I can get out with you guys in Dec., we'll see.
    A.