Posts by SG1998

So I was about to leave work this afternoon, sitting in the parking lot, and my brake pedal went to the floor (98 TJ). I blew a line up front and it was spraying all over. I haven't had any experience with brake lines yet. I'm guessing this could have been a disaster if this had happened coming down 95 this morning???? Is there any way I would have seen this coming or known it was about to happen?? Do they start as a slow leak? I haven't seen any fluids leaking recently. The jeep has been sitting in the garage for the past couple months and hasn't really been driven. Got it out cause it was nice the past few days. Could sitting for a while make a difference?

I ended up limping it to the nearest shop using the E brake to get the line repaired. That was sketchy. The lines were pretty old. Shady Luke repaired one for me when he did my frame work. I should have replaced them all then. Sorry for the rant. Just looking for some knowledge.

Any recommendations on new lines (braided, pre-bent, etc.) for the future?

I am also looking for a TJ skid plate if there are any more out there that are in good shape. The holes that bolt up into the frame are rusting and I want to replace it. Thanks

I have a Bestop soft top from a 98 TJ, tinted windows, no rips, style with the front header. I had it on the jeep once. Not sure how much the PO used it. Seems to be in good shape. I know it's probably not the right time of year to sell it, but it's taking up too much room in the garage. I'd like to get about $200-250 for it. Anybody interested?

I also have the A/C components that I took out of the jeep last week. Anybody have any use for it? Don't know what it may be worth.

I have a black one that I haven't really used. Has tinted windows. No leaks or tears that I am aware of. It's off my 98 TJ. It's the kind that requires the front header across the windshield. PM me if you are interested. It's a Bestop brand

Scott

I ordered the one from quadratec (crown auto), and it was identical to the one I had. The picture was not accurate in the link (must just be a generic photo). I installed it last week. I had some problems, but that's how you learn I guess. It is definitely quiet now! No more noise from that thing. On to the next project.... it never ends.

I pm'd Mr93wrangler, but he never responded, so I went with Luke. Had to take his cruise control buttons off, and my airbag fit perfectly. Thanks again Luke. No more electrical tape on my wheel!

I've always had great experiences with quadratec. And usually if i order in the morning, the parts are at my door the following day. I just make sure they are in stock before I order them. Amazon on the other hand usually takes a while for me. I never have luck with them.

I don't know anything about this stuff, so maybe my lingo is off. By cap, I mean the plastic top that attaches by two screws, which all the plugs connect to the top of. I can take a picture if needed. I just figured it was the distributor cap.

[size=2]So when I start the jeep, it runs smooth, after about 5 minutes or after it warms up, i start to hear a ticking sound. As time goes by the ticking gets louder. I traced it to the distributor. You can actually feel the ticking if you put your hand on the distributor cap. The ticking gets faster if you rev it up. New wire plugs and cap. The cap isn't loose. Any idea what I can do to get rid of the noise? Should I replace the distributor? Its starting to drive me nuts. I haven't tried putting dielectric grease on the connections yet.[/size]

worth a shot... If anybody has one laying around, I am looking to replace my 98 Jeep TJ 4.0, steering wheel. Mine is peeling apart and have electrical tape on it now. I would rather find a used one that is in good shape than buy one of those cheap steering wheel covers. If not, i'll check eBay.

Yeah, that was my plan, to do the manifold, cat, and exhaust all at once. Do you need to drop the skid plate to replace the cat / exhaust? Or can you work around the skid?

I was wondering how hard it is to replace the exhaust manifold. I have a crack in mine (98 TJ, 4.0, manual) so it needs to get done. I have done a lot of work but this seems pretty involved. Would anybody recommend doing it myself, or paying somebody or a shop to do it? Just looking for advice. Thanks. I'm located in N. Wilmington.