Posts by Mack293

I'm looking to do a CJ Dash Conversion to my '93 YJ. I have been searching every Jeep Forum that I can think of and have done numerous online searches with little to no luck. What I am looking for is if anyone has a link to a pretty detailed write-up on how to do it. I'm in the shopping list mode and want to make sure I have everything I need before getting started. Also, it doesn't hurt to have a "guide" to go by while performing the swap.

On a side note, I'm on the fence with doing the traditional gauges vs. upgrading to digital. Are their any recommendations/concerns/opinions on one vs the other? Is their a specific brand of gauges that is better than another?

TIA for any assistance... :help:

Oops... I accidently put this in the wrong place. :bang: Could a Moderator please relocate this thread to it's proper home? :innocent:

Lookin' good! :up: I can relate 'cause my YJ just went thru a frame swap as well. It's been back on the road for about two weeks. :driving: Longest 6 months of my life...

Nice Looks like a fun time. Someday I'll get out on the trail. :rolleyes:

x2... That is, if I ever get the frame swap completed on my YJ. :bang: I'm hoping to have the YJ ready for the JFJ run to A.I. DuPont in December. If not, then I guess I'll have to just cruise in the ZJ for the event. :driving:

Yes. It can be painted over BUT you have to do so when the paint is tacky. A friend of mine does it all the time. I did this with my plow and my rocker skids. A quart will do your frame and should only cost between $25 and $30. It can be bought locally in South Penn Acres. Just DON'T get it on you! It doesn't come off too easily (aside from a wire brush on your skin or a few weeks of sun light).

What are you doing with your old frame?

I didn't realize that the POR 15 itself has to still be tacky when applying the chassis coat. I'm guessing that it is so the Chassis Coat has something a bit more to adhere to? Soooooo, this stuff is worse to get off of you than some paints, huh? Guess I'll have to encapsulate myself when the time comes.

Hmmmmm... Haven't given much thought on the old frame. :hmm: It is not looking too healthy right now. If anything, I'd probably just take it to the scrap yard considering the shape that it is in. Unless somebody wants it, then I'd sell it to them for cheap. It'll need a lot of work to be a useable frame again.

The motor mount brackets on the frame that I am prepping for the frame swap are set up for a 4 cylinder engine. I am going to be reusing my 6 cylinder engine. I was going to reuse the 6 cylinder mounts that are currently being used. But after some preliminary investigations, they look about as poor as the rest of the frame. Are the 4 cyl and 6 cyl mounts truly the same? Or do I have to get different brackets? It's kind of difficult to tell when looking from the bottom up. Is there a bolt on bracket option available? Considering I don't own a welder and have zero welding skills, this would be a preferred option for me. However, if I have no choice but to go the welding route, I'll have to start soliciting assistance... :innocent: :help:

TIA

Hmmmmmm.... That is really interesting about POR-15. :hmm: My thoughts are the same as everyone elses'; slap it on and never have to worry about the frame (or whatever you are applying it to) rusting ever again. True it is expensive, but better than having to worry about doing a frame swap ever again (at least in my case). :shrug: And I am leaning toward doing a 1" body lift with a motor mount lift as well. It shouldin't be that bad to do before the swap commences...

As stated in an earlier thread, the frame on my '93 YJ is rotted beyond repair, :cuss: so it is currently beached until a frame swap can be done. :bang:

I have located a rolling chassis that is in much better condition and has upgraded front and rear diff's. :up: Much to my suprise, there isn't much prepping that I have to do to the frame before the actual swapping occurs. I plan on using either POR 15 or Extend on the frame. I also have to relocate the motor mounts 'cause it is currently set-up for a 2.5L and I have a 4.0L. Also, eventhough the body mounts look relatively good, I'm going to take the time to replace them. For as little $$$ as they are, it seems kind of crazy not to while the frame is as exposed as it is.

Now, with all that being said, I'm debating between going with just the standard body mounts or with a 1" body lift. Are their any thoughts/opinions/recommendations on this? I see that Q-tech and 4WD sell complete poly sets. Would this be a good idea? Also, I was going to put a 3.5" suspension lift on, however it appears that the rolling chassis already has a 2" or 2.5" suspension lift on it (if my measurements are correct). So now I'm thinking about holding off until the budget gets more in the black to invest in the 3.5" suspension lift. Is there anything else that I should pay attention to now/take care of now before the actual swap commences?

Yea, you're right. It could be a lot worse. And it is definitely a great excuse to upgrade. In parallel with hunting down a frame, I'm going thru the catalogues deciding what I want to upgrade and what would make sense to upgrade while the frame work is being done.

A lot of guys cut the rusted part out and weld in new box tubing.

Pretty much the entire rear end of the frame needs replaced. And that would be a lot of box tubing. Guess it is one of those toss-ups.

Ok, finally got down to see Aaron. :wavey: It was great to meet you and I learned a lot in the little amount of time that I was there. However, I left his place with more than I bargained for. The good news is that all I need to finish out a power steering conversion is the power steering box, reservoir, low and high pressure lines. So it isn't going to be as much of a chore than initially thought. :up:

Now for the bad... In checking out the YJ, it was discovered that I have some serious cracks and fractures in my frame at the rear end. :cuss: It's that bad that we could see a bit of daylight at one spot. Needless to say, it really isn't safe to drive right now. :badidea: The whole back end of the frame is pretty much beyond sensible repair. :bang: So, now I guess I'll be hunting for a donor YJ frame for my '93. Aaron suggested one of two ideas.
    #1: Cut out the rear half of the frame and splice in the back end of a good frame.
    #2: Do a total frame swap.
    I'm leaning towards the frame swap. He's saying that they're about the same amount of work. Guess I should look on the bright side, this will give me an excuse to upgrade the supsension and some other things on it. :innocent:
    Also, PA inspection is about due on it and I'm highly doubting it would have passed anyways. It's like my GF said, better to find out now than when I'm getting it inspected.

So I guess the choice is clear. From what you are all saying, it is best to stick with the stock air box. And the snorkel is the only real acceptable true air intake? Does anyone make something similar to the snorkel that isn't so invasive? (Defining invasive as the long tube that extends from the side fenderwall up to the top of it). :shrug:

No problem. Now I have a real good idea as to what my YJ will look like lifted after all of these pics I've seen. Good lookin' YJ. I have the same exterior/interior color combinations as well. Now I'm starting to really get excited about this...

I agree, that is some awesome info! :spinrhead:

I'm not looking to make this into a rock crawler or a serious mud bogger. Maybe in the future. I want to keep it a daily driver and for the lighter side of wheeling (if that makes sense). I have thought about the the cone styles of intakes vs. the exterior mounted intakes on side of vehicle. So really overall, I guess unless one does some serious mudding or plays in the water a lot with it, 6 in one, half dozen in the other as far as different manufacturers.

Ok, opinion time again...

I want to put a cold air intake under the hood of my YJ, and am debating between K&N, Airaid, AEM, and Rock-It. They all look pretty much the same to me. Is there one that truly stands out amongst the rest? What does everyone else run? Or is there a different air intake that is better than what is listed? :shrug:

Guess I'm looking for different opinions/trains of thought on the subject. :help: