Posts by brihvac

Used a coat hanger first because a mouse must have built a nest because there was a bunch of house insulation inside. Then I used a bunch of wire brushes that are on 3' semi flexible rods. They are actually used for cleaning oil boilers. Shoved them in any hole I could and worked them back and forth. Worked great! However according to the instructions you don't have to do all that if it's just surface rust. Instructions say to coat right over it. I ran a camera inside my frame and that is all I had is very small amount of surface rust (and a mouse nest) and it wasn't even everywhere, only a few small places. Whoever had the Jeep before me must have never off roaded it (probably because it's a 4cyl) because the underneath is almost perfect. I'm doing all this because I'm gonna take it on the beach and I'm very anal with my vehicles. I'm the guy that will be underneath it every time I come home from the beach with a pressure washer. In the winter I plastic the walls of my garage so after I drive my daily drivers in the snow and salt; I put it up on the lift and wash the underneath. Yes, I'm that bad

Coated the inside of the frame with the green Eastwood inner frame coating. This stuff works great. Also drilled some drain holes in the frame and coated the outside of the frame with their textured frame coating. Their outer frame coating is horrible. Its supposed to be textured but isn't. I have actually used $2 Walmart spray paint that was better. I ran a camera inside my frame and it was extremely clean with minimal surface rust. I ran a coat hanger in and out every hole and blew it out real good with air. Turned out great. Also put the 2nd coat of bedliner on my tub and installed my rear hitch.

Ok, maybe I'm a dumb ass but..... I disconnected my seat belts to bed liner the tub and they retracted in. They do not seem to want to pull back out so I can remount them. Is there a trick to it?

Anybody go? I always goto the Spring and Fall show for parts for the hot rod, but never been to the truck show. Do they have much Jeep stuff? I want to get seat covers, maybe some tinted soft side glass, and who knows what else.

I used to offshore fish for tuna and shark, and wreck for sea bass and tautog, almost every week since I was a kid. No longer a boat owner but still want to fish. I never surf fished before and want to get into it. Bought a Jeep and getting it, and myself, ready to surf fish. I have some questions:
    1. Can I get the surf tag and permit at Eastern Marine?
    2. How long is the "season"?
    3. Best/cheapest place to buy my rod and reel.
    4. What kind of shovel are you guys carrying? Would like to make/buy mounts to mount it in the Jeep. Any pics of your shovels?
    5. What kind of jack? I have a 2" lift with 31's. Any pics of your jacks?
    6. 3"X 20' or 30' recovery strap? Buy off Amazon?
    7. Know I also need a tire gauge and board for jack...Anything else?

DMV went good; no issues
    Followed everyone's advice here when I changed all my fluids today.
    De-greased the engine real good.
    Engine: conventional 10w30 with a half quart of Lucas oil treatment (Always use it in my race car)
    Trans: Pensoil syncromesh
    Transfer case: Dextron II
    Differentials: 80w90 (not posi) and I thoroughly cleaned out the insides with brake cleaner and wiped it clean.
    I ordered a set of bumper tow hooks (SE has none) and a Curt class III receiver for the back so I can have a rack and/or rod holders.
    Tomorrow I think I'm going to start removing the carpet so I can do the bed-liner coating. Once I get all that done I'm going to concentrate on the underside to get it all cleaned up and painted/protected. I'm going to look into that Eastwood stuff to do the inside of the frame, drill some drain holes in the frame, and paint the outside of the frame as well as the underside of the floors.

My oil pressure is actually pretty high. It is more than in the middle. About 3/4 up. Glad you mentioned about the synthetic because that is what I was going to use. The guy I bought it from must have used 10w30 for as high as the pressure is.

Easiest rust prevention is to drive 4 holes in the bottom of the frame. Undercoating gets mixed reviews. Next jeep that comes through for frame repairs and has undercoating on the frame I'm charging double. Its that miserable. Good thing the only jeep that I've had to deal with it on was mine.... but I didn't do it.

Exactly where? Lowest point on both sides?

Sweet! Welcome to the family! :) Email me the photos and I can upload them for you. As for fluid weights, regular ATF for the transfercase. For the differentials, 80W-90 or similar is fine, I . Just check the rear differential to see if it has a limited slip or not (you'll see the clutch discs vs the spider gears). That will require a friction modifier additive. For the transmission, you can use 10w30 synthetic motor oil, or 75w-90 GL3 or GL4 trans fluid (NOT GL5!).

I emailed you the photos
    I did not get any kind of manual...Is the drain and fill self explanatory (know where they are)for the transfer case and trans? What one of the 3 you listed is the best for the trans? 10w30 in the engine?

First off I want to thank Whatevah. Jerry was a big help answering my questions and concerns in my Jeep search.
    After searching Craigslist for months, and looking at tons of rusted out Cherokees and Wranglers I ended up with a 1997 TJ 4cyl, 5spd, 170K miles, for a decent price. It has a small amount of bubbling below license plate and a small spot under the pass door. Frame is solid as a rock with not even any surface rust I had concerns about the 4cyl but I am not trail riding, towing, or going any bigger with tires. I bought it to surf fish and cruise around the beach with my wife.
    It has a 2 inch lift, kit new shocks, new steering stabilizer, has an adjustable track bar for up to a 4 inch lift, new fuel pump, recent tune up, all the brakes have been replaced: calipers, rotors, wheel cylinders, shoes and drums also replaced, all the brake line with nickel copper, and has new 31-inch tires.
    The guy that had it before me did plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, and said he topped off the differentials.

I plan on undercoating frame and under floors, possibly taking out the rear seat and carpet and doing the Hurculiner stuff because of beach sand. and getting rid of moisture. Gonna pressure wash off the engine with some Gunk to clean it all up. A little bit of sludge build up around the valve cover. Might also pick up a set of the Quadratech mirrors that slide into the door hinges so I can run without doors.

What other preventive maintenance should I do? Change differential fluid, transfer case, trans oil? What weight oils should I use if I do those things?
    It seems to run great and shift great; I have to get a new socket for the pass front marker light (hopefully Advanced or someone has one) so I can run it through inspection.
    Should I do anything else to it for piece of mind?
    How do I upload pictures?

Assuming you're talking about the XJ and not one of the Grand Cherokees, I can help out. I'm off every other weekend and random weekdays. For the most part, just look for the typical older vehicle issues (belts, joints, A/C, steering, etc). Signs of maintenance, working electronics (power doors, locks), worn out door hinges, rust in floorboard (especially the back seats over the exhaust)... The 4.0 motor lasts forever if it's given an oil change regularly (with the exception of the 2000 and 2001 models, the heads can crack). The automatic trans (AW4) is a beast if the fluid is clean. I'd say a 1991 at minimum and preferably a 97-99 for better interior.

Good info. Definitely not a Grand Cherokee. The one I had my eye on is a 01 that was well taken care of, but might rethink it now I know of the head issue. This is why I wouldn't mind having someone with me because they know what to look for. To point out major (stay away from) issues compared to minor (no big deal) issues. Thanks, and if I come across something I will Pm you to see if you might be able to take a look at one with me.

You can't expect someone to commit with little information. How about where, when other than after a random day 3 weeks from now and also what are you looking at?

My original post answers most questions
    What am I looking at- Cherokee
    Where- Well I live in North Wilmington so close to there. Regardless I would drive and pick someone up and drop off.
    Not expecting anyone to commit to anything, just asking if someone that knows Cherokees would be willing to look at one with me when I find one<--this is called a feeler not a specific commitment. Either way I would work around their schedule because they are helping me out. After reading all the post here it seemed like a good group that helps each other out. Just figured if someone was local to me, and had some spare time, if they wouldn't mind taking a ride and checking one out with me. Thats it. geez

If I go to look at a Cherokee to buy.....would anyone be willing to go with me to look it over. As I have stated before, I do not know much about them so if someone could come with me that knows them, I would feel more comfortable. There is one that has caught my eye but I am making settlement on a house Feb 15th and can not take any money from my account until after. Hopefully it will not sell before then.