Posts by keith1011

Hey all
    Andy Titus did an amazing job fixing my custom 1979 cj7 renegade. Everything runs perfect . But it takes forever to get the car running.
    Having an issue starting her. It takes a very very long time before she will idle without stalling. Once it's warmed up she runs like a dream.
    She has a 90s high output inline 6 with Clifford intake and Holley carb.
    Any suggestions?

I wanted to update the forum on my 79 CJ7 that Andy Titus spent 6 months on!
    There was so much done to it, I cant possibly credit him with everything because I didnt really understand everything. But he had to reweld the axle appropriately and change out a ball joint on the front. He replaced the chain in the transfer case and placed new shifters for the part time kit he installed. He replaced the transmission shifter on the column to a much nicer one on the center of the inner tub, changed U joints, lowered the front with shorter shocks, replaced all the seals and belts, cleaned up the rats nest of wires, fixed the shifting issue on the aftermarket holly carb, and replace a motor mount that was destroyed. and probably much much more...
    We still have to put a steering stabilizer in, and he is going to clean up the interior dash as well to a more stock looking dash, and maybe something with the transmission in the future.
    i loaded some pics but he might want to add some more, because he spent a lot of hard work and effort and did a meticulous job. She runs perfect. there is no more steering issues and she accelerates perfect, shifts perfect with no other issues at this point. I couldnt be happier, so thank you ANdy and everyone else that chipped in to make this happen.

Just as an update Andy has done a phenomenal job locating the issues with the front axle
    There's more work to be done but I'm sure he will post more info on the setup that was supposed to be done right for the cj7

Thanks to Andy for helping out today
    he was definitely more aggressive driving where as I was
    Sissy footing it and once we figured out where the transfer case shifter needed to be it felt great to feel
    Her go and at least shift.
    The wandering of the steering is still quite scary .
    Also John he had the same suggestion of lowering the seats they sit up very high and even though I'm short the roll bar sits right at the top of my head

Ok so willyn the hubs are warn hub lockers and the car will only drive when they are locked otherwise the axle turns and turns with no movement
    I tried all different positions for the transfer case shifter and can't get the car to shift past first gear or engage only the rear axle
    That's definitely two problems that I can't find a solution for
    I'm just reading he post about checking the transmission side area
    Was hoping to hear from Aaron sooner but rather than later but is that something you feel comfortable fixing willyn? I'm running out of warm weather time and would just get it towed to you. Parts etc I would get at your request
    Thanks to everyone for their time discussing this

I have yet to feel the car "shift" once.
    I will try to run the transfer case through the different positions again while the car is off, but its very difficult to say when anything is engaged. In other words, the gear just moves throughout the range with no palpable or audible "click" or anything that would make you think it has entered one gear or the other
    Before the tires, it was 100 times worse, could barely manipulate the steering without veering right, that has been remedied somewhat with the new tires, but without the front axle lockers in "lock" the car wont move at all because the rear axle is not engaging (did once, with the emergency switch engaged)
    ill tinker with it

Willyn
    Being a relative newby this may sound silly but I can't tell if the transfer case is in low range
    I have shifted the lever into all different positions and the results are the same.
    I will look at this kick down terminal today to see if I can play with that switch and see what happens.
    Thanks again for your input and will keep this updated

Wanted to give a little update .
    With much help from John The issue may still be caster but at this point the rear axle
    Isn't really engaging appropriately
    And there is a problem where the jeep isn't shifting . Maybe a cable issue going to the holly carb (via phone conversation with aaron)
    John helped me located the vacuum switch for. Emergency driving which the previous owners relocated from the glove box.
    Got the rear axle to engage but car still won't go over 25 mph. Suggestions were a cone issue and a slipping in the transfer case . Has a quadratrac
    Case another suggestion he made was maybe Change to a Dana 300 but wasn't 100% sure without more details .
    Going to need some more work I'll update once I know anything

I wanted to give somewhat of an update. I was finally able to drive the jeep around the hood last night and this morning. One of the biggest issues was the steering was very loose, and i believe the jerk on deceleration is because of the loose sterring column...Anyway i googled that and found an old thread on a jeep site.....its below and of course it talks about the castor angle...
    One other issue i am having is i cant figure out why the jeep wont shift into another gear. its an automatic 3 gear on the column, and it seems to stay stuck in one gear. I wonder if it will ever be able to go over 30-35mph or if i need a new engine to have that happen...Theres a strange shifter on the drivers side i am assuming its the 2-4wd gear but theres nothing marked... the picture is rotated left 90 degrees...its on inside of the center console part right in front of the seat
    theres a pic below if anyone has any idea
    anyway I am trying to get it to someone to fix it, ill keep you updated if anything changes

One of the biggest issues with Jeeps and a topic that almost repeats itself in a new thread each week is "wandering or loose steering". As a forum contributor on JeepForum for close to 5 years now, I see it over and over.

I'll first volunteer that there isn't always a single factor contributing to all steering issues, but one prevails quite commonly and that's, Castor Angle.

If you have no idea what castor angle is, please see this link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caster_angle

When you put a suspension lift on your jeep, you alter the steering geometry of the vehicle. There's no exception, if you lifted your jeep, your castor angle is wrong and your steering demonstrates one or more of the following characteristics:

1) The steering wanders, particularly at higher speeds.
    2) The steering wheel has a lot of play, usually 1-2" before the wheels turn.
    3) The steering wheel doesn't center itself after a turn.
    4) When the vehicle hits a bump in the road, you are white-knuckled trying to correct your course

seriously you guys are way too smart for me. I am trying to follow you...hopefully i can get this fixed and meet you on the trails...
    thanks for all the information..very much appreciated.

Ok that' actually
    Makes sense . Sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean by putting wedges in there
    The guys that looked at it to check the alignment (but said it couldn't be done) said the steering box was in good shape .... but not sure they were necessarily jeep guys.

i would really appreciate that..i honestly dont know if i can get it there...I was on paper mill road last night going 35 mph and almost rolled it. but its worth it to even get it trailed to you.
    my phone number is 302-509-1679 call text or Pm fine too.

OK I got new tires, and the acute pull isnt the problem anymore, however at speeds over 30mph, any deviation right or left on the road the jeep feels like it will spiral out of control. and then its hard to center on the road again once it does veer off, there are no sway bars or a traction bar and nothing attached to the axel
    i am wondering if this jeep just isnt street safe and should be kept off road, is there anyway i can get a jeep like this street safe?
    i tried to get some pics of the front axle configuration, theres a power steering control I believe placed aftermarket.
    can anyone get any information from these pics?
    thanks everyone

no offense but by your descriptions it sounds like u need to learn a little more of the lingo. U will find it pretty easy to pick up but its hard to do over the internet. U r gonna need to get it by one of the experienced guys here to explain to u what some of the parts are and how the lingo goes. Im in wilmington and can help. There r many things that can cause the jeep to pull some of them simple some dangerous.

astape, thank you for your offer as well. sorry my description is probably terrible..Ill try to get more information for you guys when i review all the things you recommended and repost
    I grew up by stanleys tavern in wilmington as well.

WILLYN,
    I will definitely join, and I may take your up on your offer. Ill be going through all of the things posted when i pick up the Jeep tonight and report back... but if you see a red CJ7 coming your way to Delaware City all over the road...itll be me

It does have creger lockers on the front, but they seem to engage ok, there are no lockers on the back
    I am getting it today from the tire guy, got new tires , tried to have alignment done but the shop said they couldnt perform due to "the suspension lift". didnt really expand, but said the steering box/gears were all intact.
    I will definitely look at all those recommendations and post some pics maybe that will help

the car jerks, its not a steady pull while accelerating it drives just fine, but any letup will pull very hard to the right.

thank you all for the posts, im a beginner at this.. so all appreciated.