88 Jeep Cherokee Wagoneer Limited??

• I am going to buy a new toy today. It is a 88 Jeep Cherokee wagoneer. It is burgundy color with wood panels. The leather interier is perfect! And it is loaded, power everything. It was my sisters, she stopped driving it in 2004 and has been sitting in her yard since. The body is in great shape, the paint is faded but no dents or anything. It has 139k miles. It has a real nice alpince CD player, amp and some huge alpine subs in hte rear. It also has some new 235/75/15 mud tires.. I was planning on removing the tires and stereo and selling them recouping soem of the sale price. She said I can have it for $1000. So..

Does anyone kow anything about these? It is not the big wagoneer, but an XJ Wagoneer Limited something or other package. I know it is an inline 6, I assume a 4.0. I googled it and didnt come up with much info. Apparently they are not very common.

I am looking to use it as a DD and maybe after the winter lift it and make an off road toy. Thanks for any info, I need to get the VIN... I want to know what kind of axles and what kind of goodies it has compared to the regular cherokee as far as drive train is concerned.

• I'd like to add it is automatic 4speed and the t-case has 2wd, 4wd auto, 4wd full, nuetral, 4wd low. any idea the model?

• perfect! nice site. So I got a AW4 tranny and a NP242 "Selec-Trac"! now I just got to figure out which real axle i got. Chrysler or dana... will check when i get home.

• for that year you most likely have a Dana 35 or 44. from what i hear the most commen is the d35 which is what i have. have only seen a few with the d44 mosty earlier then mine which yours is. good luck with the project, mine has had its issues but its still worth it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!