SYE/CV driveshaft question

• i am soon to be installing a 3.5 RE superflex lift with 33x12.50's i know im going to need a SYE and CV driveshaft...but how soon...can i get away with running the lift for a little while without it...or should i wait till i get them to install the lift???

• no i don't think you have to, but you might have some weird noises down below. i know Chris (jeepsahara) lifted his jeep and drove around for at least 3 months before he did the SYE.

• I have the same lift, when I bought jeep, the lift was on it with just the t-case drop. I had no vibrations or any ill effects. The driveshaft was very far out of the slip yoke in the back of the t-case which worried me, so I put the SYE on. I know at least 6 other jeeps with the 3.5 superflex that do not run a SYE. It should be fine with out it but planning on adding one at some point would probably be helpful.

• As Falcon said, I ran without one for about 3 months but I was still getting some vibes at 35mph even with the t-case dropped 1.5". But every Jeep is different so you may or may not get vibes. Also the t-case drop is a definate disadvantage on the trails.

-Chris

• thanks guys...cant wait to start wrenching...hopefully my lift will be here this weekend...and ed...your money should be here SOON.

• I still run without an sye and have no problems. I did just develope vibes but that happend after the 1" mmL and Body lift. You should be fine.
    PS My sye and gears are in the mail!!!
    Ed

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• I put on the 4" lift in April 2002, with just the t-case drop. We didn't do the SYE until late 2003, when I added body and spacer lifts to clear the Krawlers.

You're probably OK to hold off for a while...

• BlueJ what lift did you put on? My girlfriend's brother has a YJ and we're going to lift. He was going to get the Rubicon Express 4" lift, (not the 4.5"). He ordered it, but then they told him the shocks were on backorder, then they told him the springs were on backorder too. So he canceled it. Not sure if he has re-ordered it from somewhere else yet or not.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!