Re- Gearing, What should I get?

• What should I re-gear to? 10

1. 3.55 (0) 0%
    2. 3.73 (0) 0%
    3. 4.10 (7) 70%
    4. Other (3) 30%

I finally got the money to get the lift. I have 3.03 gears now. I am only doing about 2000 RPM doing 70mph stock. Can anyone suggest what I should get?

I need to get front and back right?

Here is what I plan on doing to my 97 TJ Sport 6 cylinder Stick:

33x12.5 BFG M/T on 10in wide black steel rims.
    3.5 RE Superflex
    I have a 16' skiff that I pull around a half dozen times a year and an open trailer.
    I go on the beach at least a dozen times a year and what to crawl about 4-6 times a year.
    I havent made any engine modifications.

I'd like to still be able to do 75 maybe 80, but i dont like pushing it over 2800 RPM.

I did some calculations, and I think the 3.73 would get me to where I need to be, but I was wondering what everyone else thought?

Thanks.

• 4 banger or I6?
    auto or stick?

it all makes a differnce.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• What size tires do you want to run? Do you want to stick with those tires or are they just a stop gap until you go bigger??? Do you want to lock your axles?? Dana 30 and Dana 35 or 44?? Do you plan on mostly highway driving with occassional off-road or will you get a DD??

• we cant tell you what we think till we find out what you want to do with it everthing about it.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• going to 3.73's is a waste of money and time... gear calculations do not take into consideration the additional rolling mass of the tires..... Minimum I would do would be 4.10's... Easiest way to accomplish this is to find new front and rear axles out of a 4 banger stick(if you have a dana 35 rear).........If you have a 44 and considering you tow I would go to 4.56's.....

• My jeep isnt my daily driver. Its my toy. :spinrhead:

I want to say that I have Dana 30s. I was thinking about putting a Lock-Rite up front. If its not tooo expensive I will just get it now and put it in while i have everything pulled out to re-gear.

As for the tires, I dont think that I will be I will be going bigger for a while. I am saving up for a house and the bigger I go, the more aggressive stuff I will do and probably spend a lot more money.

My boat is verry light, just your basic 16' outboard motor alluminum boat.

• I just got in a certificate today from Adrenaline Offroad to raffle off. Its a buy one get one free on gear and locker installation. ($400 value)
    I'd atleast buy some raffle tickets and see if you win. That would seriously help defray the cost of the install.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• I just got in a certificate today from Adrenaline Offroad to raffle off. Its a buy one get one free on gear and locker installation. ($400 value)
    I'd atleast buy some raffle tickets and see if you win. That would seriously help defray the cost of the install.

What are my options to do it myself? I hate paying someone to do it, if I can do it myself ( I built my own deck ).

• Remember that as you go to lower gears, the teeth in the ring get smaller and weaker. I think 4:10 is a good comprimise. 44s you can go 4:27 or 4:56 gears.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Remember that as you go to lower gears, the teeth in the ring get smaller and weaker. I think 4:10 is a good comprimise. 44s you can go 4:27 or 4:56 gears.

Steve

Bullshit that is one of the great e-myths, there is not noticable difference in strengths of gear sets vs. pinion size. .... Search on Rubicon Owners forum, Ron from alloy had some great data on it....with the 30/35 combo there are 4 choices, 3.73, 4.10, 4.56 and 4.88 The easy way out is to find the 4.10 axle set from a 4-banger but if you are going to go through the trouble of regearing, make it worthwhile and go to 4.56's..... 4.10's are the correct numerical calculation but they do not take into consideration the extra drag and extra weight from taller wider and heavier tires..... You will also need new carriers front and rear so a locker maybe a consideration....

You can do gears yourself, you just need someone who is willing to help the first few times, trust me it is not something that is easily accomplished without a helping hand of someone who has done a few sets.... Alot of it is "feel" then measuring.... YOu also need a press, a micrometer and a plunge dial indicator... plus a pinion depth tool comes in really handy...

• I have an 04 saraha with stock 3.73's and I'm running 33x12.5 MTR's. It does ok but shift points relating to cruzing speeds seem a little off. I plan to move to 4.56's when I upgrade the axles.

• Who is running 33x12.5s with 4.10s? I am curious what rpms they are at when going 75mph..

The only reason I ask this is because I drive 75-80 mph when going to and from the beach and I dont want to be at 3000 rpm.

So if it turns out that 4:56 is what I want, it would make sense to go to 44s at the same time?

• i got 33's on my Rubi and i got about 28-29 at 75-80.

*bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*<br /><br />&quot;Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. <br />One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.&quot;

• WAIT YOU ARE GETTING 27 to 29 mpg? on 33's? how the hell are you doing that?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!