rear brakes help

• Ok a friend of mine is have issues with his rear brakes on his yj, he has gone 1900 miles on two sets of shoes and drums. I think the last set only lasted 700 miles before the started to dig into the drums... now the hardware has also been replace too... its been to two diffrent shops so it dosen't seem that it could be the installers screw up... anyone have any idea?@ thanks Mike

• when they changed the hardware did the replace the self adjuster cable....that does not come with a hardware kit. If the adjuster cable is not working then it could be adjusting the shoes too tighe and wearing them too fast.

Also the adjuster cable has the ability to be mounted 2 ways, either the curved piece in the forward shoe or the rear shoe. cant swear on a yj but make sure they didnt screw that up.

• has he changed the rear brake line. I have heard of them failing and having a peice of rubber acting kind of like a flag and not allowing the fluid to return. since its both sides i would start there as that is a common part to both sides

• Other things to consider,
    1. wrong size shoes. I've seen it before, really tears things up.
    2 when you do rear brakes, ALWAYS buy the spring hardware kit.
    3. Do one wheel at a time so you can reference one side if you forget how everything goes.
    4. Make sure your self adjusters did not get switched. They are left and right specific. Also make sure they were cleaned and the threads are lubricated. Brakes that dont adjust will fail quickly.

Good luck,

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

• has he changed the rear brake line. I have heard of them failing and having a peice of rubber acting kind of like a flag and not allowing the fluid to return. since its both sides i would start there as that is a common part to both sides

I asked last night cause I was wondering the same.... he said no, but now since I'm not the only one questioning it I will pass the info along..... thanks Mike :spinrhead:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!