Swapping a 5.9L into a 98TJ

• Jarod
    Wants me to post a problem he is having with the clutch.
    He is getting a chattering with the tranny in neutral. when he engages the clutch it quiets down some but does not go away.

He is trying to adjust it but said there is no adjustments on it I ran through what I thought it may be including a warped flywheel.

Anyone want to take a shot at the what may cause it without having looked at the jeep.

• my jeep since new has had the same "chatter" ...assuming he has a chrysler tranny i would think it has to do with a noisy throwout bearing

It's A Jeep Thing...You Wouldn't Understand
    *bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*

• Thanks Joe I got out of class early tonight.

It sounds like the gears in the nv3550 are still rattling around even if it is neutral. Then when I push the clutch in it getter noticeably queiter but the noise is still there. Also while drive about 30mph in third gear I can hear it rattle quite a bit.
    FYI items that are new: trans, throwout bearing, clutch kit and slave cylinder hose. The original parts: slave cylinder, fork

When bleeding the clutch shouldn't the pedal get firmer when you pump it up? just like brakes?

98 TJ 5.9L, RE 4.5 SF, 35s, 4XDoctor Rocker Guards, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS
    2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

• i had the same problem with my NV3550, turns out the retainer clip for the release fork was missing...its a lot quieter with the clip in.

• its a small metal clip that holds the end of the fork to the pivot bushing in the bellhousing...the clip connects to the fork then the fork is snapped onto the bushing. when i didn't have that clip the fork would clunk in neutral and when i shifted out of reverse and 1st gear, it also seems to have taken out the throw out bearing.

• nope have to pull the trans to get to it. i wasnt to happy about having to pull the trans for a 2$ clip. i wasnt even aware there was a clip until i printed out a parts picture from alldata, there def wasnt one on my 4-banger trans.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!