Jeep Problems Getting Worse

• The Jeep has gotten worse I've gone from a sputter while driving now to the RPMs dropping almost to 0 then spiking to 1k while idling, and when I try and give it gas the engine just wants to cut out and back fire. I'm smelling gas comming out of the exhaust and some of these back fires are not comming out of the tail pipe. There are no error codes currently stored or previously. I really need some help with this. :shrug:

• I had similar problem with my tj it turned out to be the upstream O2 sensor.. but I also have the 6 cyl just a thought but definatly worth checking

05 unlimited rubicon teraflex long arm kit poison spyder rocker guards 35" pro comp extreme mud terrains

• There was another thread describing a simular problem posted on the DEJA site about a month ago if I remember correctly. The post said this problem was common to 97s and 98s but there was a recall of the 98s. Something about an overheating problem interfering with something electrical if I remember correctly.????

• The cat is new along with the down stream O2 sensor. I tried at least disconnecting the Up stream O2 and there was no change. It seems as if the engine is running rich and flooding when I try and give it gas

• If you disconnected a sensor and there was no change to me that would indicate that the sensor wasn't working. Just a thought.

• Where was that post at?

There was another thread describing a simular problem posted on the DEJA site about a month ago if I remember correctly. The post said this problem was common to 97s and 98s but there was a recall of the 98s. Something about an overheating problem interfering with something electrical if I remember correctly.

98 TJ 5.9L, RE 4.5 SF, 35s, 4XDoctor Rocker Guards, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS
    2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

• '97 and '98 4 bangers have a very common problem with their fuel rail. Their is a service bulletin out about it. Do a search on JU or any other big jeep forum and you will find alot of information about it. I think it is fixed with a new fuel rail and reprogramming the computer but it has been a long time since I dealt with it.

• You used to be able to search for TSB's for free at alldata.com, but I think they're a fee site now. You can try NHTSA's site, but I'm not sure it's as helpful.

Nor am I.

:cmon:

• Mine got progressively worse. The odd part about the whole thing was I replaced the battery and it help out greatly. I would come up to stop lights and have to give it gas to keep it alive. After the new battery I still had rough starting problems and smelled raw fuel during startup but all of my rough idle (once warm) went away.

• come on bryan,
    we know you had repeat issues with your jeep - but that doesn't mean that his issues with his jeep aren't mechanically correctable. rants/vents are best left in the "off topic" section - not the "modifications" section.
    truce??? :peace:
    chris

• there's a reason you had problems w/ your jeep. Look at what you broke. before you come on a jeep board that you know the people and start throwing mud, think about why only you had problems w/ the rear, and the tranny. Maybe it wasn't the Jeep, maybe it was the driver.

:peace:

• No matter what vehicle it is your going to have problems with them. We just modify the problems by altering our vehicles from their original states. As for Bryan I don't think he meant anything by his statements other than letting us know he is still watching the boards. If he hated jeeps that much he wouldn't still be watching our board and dreaming of the day when he can get another jeep.
    Brian :peace: :wavey:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!