Looking for Lift and Tire suggestions

• Just got back from the desert a few months ago and just happened to run into this site...Need help.. looking for a 4" lift and some 33/34 for a 2000 wrangler. Anyone have any good suggestions in the Elkton, Newark area...besides at Rhino Linings. Please email me at corvette_ramirez@comcast.net.

Bluej, jbates and quadna71 ... BBD said to talk to you all. :usa:

• I spoke with Jman for a while in the chat room
    I'm not much help with picking out Tj Lift kits but some of you
    can tell him about your brand preference :usa:

• Wow jman, you don't waste anytime....you were just in chat a few minutes ago!

Like I said there, I've heard good things about the Full Traction kit, and I believe Andrew (BlueJ) still has that on his. I'm sure you'll get differing opinions and advice from others who have used different lifts. In addition to Andrew, Jerrod (jbates) and Chris (quadna), there are several members running about that height with 33's usually.

My lift was sort of pieced together with springs I bought from a member here, DT-3000 shocks, Tera coil spacers, and new bumpstops and brake lines (which have yet to go on). I'm running the Interco TrXus MT's 33 x 12.5, and so far I really like them. I know others that love them, and at least one member here who hates them though.

Good luck in your search, let us know when a wrenching party is set up!

• I recommend Rubicon Express lifts. I don't think they make a 4" lift but there 3.5" superflex lift is great. Bob Supplee (Phone: (405) 799-8977 he does not have a website) is the best place to buy it unless you can find a special somewhere on the internet. He also sells BDS and Teraflex lifts. 33" tires will fit with the 3.5" lift easily. You won't find 34" tires unless you go with swampers I beleave. As far as tires if its a daily driver I recommend BFGoodrich AT's or perhaps Goodyear MTR's. If its just for offroad then a mud tire would be better, but I have no experience in these tires.

• I few more things to add;

Beware: There is not a company out there that I know of who sells a complete suspension lift system. Only a few companies have shocks that are included with a lift kit. I don't think none of them have track bars included. Track bars centers your axles after you lift your jeep. Most of the disconnects that comes with the kits are a pain in the a** to reconnect after 4wheelin. JKS quicker disconnects make life easier. Transfer case drop spacers (included in most kits) or a SYE and driveshaft will be needed to eliminate driveline vibrations. Bigger tires usually means new wheels also either to fit the wider tires or to eliminate rubbing when turning. What size ring and pinion gear you have also need to be considered when going to a bigger tire.

I'm not trying to scare you away from a lift but just letting you know in most cases you can't just buy a lift kit and tires and be done with it.

• You will need to decide about how you plan to use your jeep - primarily on road (daily driver) or off-road. This will influence the type of lift kit you should look for, as well as the tires.

I would second the suggestion about Rubicon Express for off-road performance. They are well made kits and everyone has positive things to say about them. Stay away from the really cheap kits - they are priced that way for a reason - unless you are planning to stay on the highway.

I also have a lot of Tera products on my jeep, and they've held up well. My TJ has the Full Traction short arm 4" kit. I'd stay away from that, although I've heard good things about their long-arm kit. I haven't received such good customer service from Full-Traction...

Definitely start with Bob Supplee. If he can get it, he'll get it the cheapest for you and he stands behind everything 100%.

As for tires, there's so much out there to choose from. I've been a big fan of BF Goodrich. I had a set of Mud-Terrains, which I really liked (right now BlueJ is wearing their Krawlers). Many people have been happy with All-Terrains, especially for a daily driver. I'm not keen on Goodyear MT/R's although a lot of folks swear by them. We've seen some mixed results on TrXus. Some people swear by their Super Swampers, but I don't like them, especially on-road.

The best thing to do is go to a buch of jeep gatherings (meetings, trail rides, etc), look at everyone's jeep, and ask what they like and don't like about their current set-ups. Then, just open your wallet and begin the building process...

Good luck!
    :spinrhead:

• Thank you all for the great advice. I'm leaning towards the rubicon express kit...and 33 BF's. When's the next jeep gathering y0u all are having? I'm there... Thanks again.

Jaime

• I have a Rubicon Express 4.5 Super Flex lift it did come with the front track bar but like fly-n-hi said the quick disconnects that come with it are a pain in the @$$ but they work for now. Also since it was lifted more the 4 inches I installed a SYE kit and a new rear driveshaft. If you need any help on installation just let us know.

98 TJ 5.9L, RE 4.5 SF, 35s, 4XDoctor Rocker Guards, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS
    2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

• Quote from "wanderlust"

I know others that love them, and at least one member here who hates them though.

:rasp: Ohhh....hate is an awful strong word. I like them for what they are but they are definitely _not_ for a hardcore trail rig. I've had trouble with 4 out of 5 and they are less than 6 months old...2 have holes in the sidewall (one was patchable for a spare), one grew a tumor the size of a grapefruit, and the last is useable but missing a sizeable chunk in the sidewall. For someone looking for an aggressive mud tire that still retains good road manners (very quiet and handle inclement weather extremely well) they're great, but if you plan on wheeling alot, esp. on blues and blacks, then you might be better served with something that has a more substantial sidewall. I would still buy them again but only for a rig that saw much less trail usage....they're head and shoulders above the BFG mud's that they replaced both onroad and offroad but the durability and quality of the BFG's was far superior.

--Ian

• RE is as complete as you will get in a lift kit. I've had mine for over 5 years. Granted it's on a YJ, but the quality is there. :up:

• Quote from "cjwhat?"

I would say Interco tires kick butt however I am really biased.

:laughing:

jman, if you decide on swampers or any other Interco tire, send a PM to cjwhat? he is a dealer and should be able to get you the best price for them.

We also have some deals that are available to members from certain vendors, so post what you're looking for, we may be able to save you some money (you may have to join us though :sniffle: )

• jman,
    what they said about the RE lifts. you don't get a trackbar with the 3.5" lift...but you do with the 4.5" one. they are pretty flexy in their own right and are about as complete of a lift as you can get (barring shocks). if you want to run 33" tires then the 3.5" lift would work fine for you even without a body lift of sorts. if looking for the 34" range then either you'd need to step up to the 4.5" kit or add a 1" to 1.25" body lift into the mix. good luck!
    chris

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!