"Angry Sparrows" Got a Squeek/Squeel on my Jeep

• like the subject says... I have a squeak or squeal in the Rubi.

It started after my little trip to Laurel and the muddy bath it took.
    (I am ready for all the "I told ya so" and I know that Mud kills Jeeps, but I can't just sit back and watch others have fun in the muck)

Anyway...

wile rolling, 5~20 MPH it squeals, on the gas, on the brakes, no eng, 2wd, 4wd... any set-up and it still squeals

First I thought it was the brakes... sometimes little rocks or sand get stuck inside, I've had that before on other rigs.
    So I took all of the brakes off, glad to have discs at all 4s, checked the pad and cleaned them up...

It is still there.

I have determined it to be in the left front. So I am about to check out the wheel bearings.... hopefully I can just clean them up and re-lube and it will go away.

• jack up the front and remove the rear shaft to see if it is front end related .
    If it is the front unit bearings like you think they arent severicable .
    Only replaceable .
    Decent ones start at around $ 100 iirc

• Well I fooled with the drivers-side Unit Bearing... I didn't really do anything just took it off and cleaned it up, then put it back on.

I took some advice from another and disconnected my front Drive shaft and drove it around the block, no squeak...

So either I fixed the unit bearing or it's the DS... After I drive it around tomorrow, hopefully it don't come back.

If that's the case, I need to work on a U-joint, if it does, I need a Unit bearing :censored:

• So the front DS has been out for a few days now... and no more squeals...

I tore it apart and cleaned every up... it looks fine, but it did look a bit contaminated.

I'm gonna try to repack everything, pop it back in and see how it goes.

I plan to do an overhaul down the road, :bang: why wouldn't Jeep put in greasable joints!!!

• If it is the centering ball issue dont wait on it like I did. Once I finally got around to fixxing it after a year or so the ball and socket that it sits in where so torn up I had to completely replace the front shaft.

• Well I cleaned and re lubed the CV portion of the front DS... I actually found a pinhole in the center of the centering ball piece and it can be used to fill the cavity with grease. For now the angry sparrows are gone, but in a month or so I plan to replace all the u-joints in the DS (ft and rear) I'll keep the old ones for trail spares. And I'll double check the CV joint to make sure everything is still good.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!