4cy converson from ax5 to ax15... Can i

• 1992 wrangler 4 cy

i want to put an ax15 into my jeep...

two weeks ago my 7 month old ax-5 with 5100 miles sh*t the bed... it had a warranty so i sent it away to get fixed... it was and i got it back today and spent 3 hours putting everything back in "it was snowing while i was doing it" stupid vermont... and got all done around 8:00 and turned it over and i thought i was in neutral but hey .... its jumped forward into the street... well the trans is jammed either into first or second and is allways in gear.... thats not good huh... wasted more of my time and 45.00 in fluids... so im going to call the company and see if i can get a credit or switch for a ax-15

so what do i need to make this work... i dont...DONT want to put another pos ax5 in there... im done with that... this is going to be the fourth thime ive had to work on my transmission in 8 months... BS!!! i cant afford a nv3500 right now so hopefully ill be adbule to trade it for and ax15 which is the same price 645.00 so... please help

• Anything is possible, but it's going to cost ya. $407 bucks from Tellico4x4.com

Here's an adapter from AA....

Advance Adapters Adapter Plate Kit For Jeep Aisin AX15 To A Jeep 4cyl 2.5L Engine (AX5 Replacement)

The AX-5 becomes the weak link in the 1987-02 2.5L 4 cylinder Jeep Wranglers & Cherokees due to bigger tires and lower gears. Advance Adapters now has a cost efficient adapter plate to mate the larger AX-15 Jeep 6 cylinder transmission to the stock 4 cylinder bellhousing. This kit works for both internal and external hydraulic applications and also upgrades both the NP231 & NP207 transfer cases to a 23 spline input. This kit is also compatible with the Atlas transfer cases.

Joe

• ok this is out of my league... looks like im going to do the engine swap this summer with a 4.0 and nv3500... its not worth the trouble for the ax15.... this is so damn dissappointing

• i do not see why it wouldn't bolt to the 4.2 at all....you may need to get the 94-95 YJ slave cylinder for the trans though....thats all i can thing of....i was thinking of asking for $250, i would say 2-3 weeks out, its only got 40k miles or so on it, its was replaced new under warranty.

• hey neighbor
    sorry to hear ...keep wrenchin itsa jeep thang... you know its worth it what u doin with the ol 4 banger?

• well the company sent me another rebuilt with a free warrnty extension for anoter 14 months... got it in and im moving again... its cold up here

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!