YJ gas tank in a CJ

• I saw this post in another thread:

They are both the same on the outside. They are also the same one the inside!!!!!!!!!!!
    The fill tube is different and the fuel sender is also different. You can change a 15 gal into a 20 gal by changing the fuel tube. If you want to make it right change the fuel pump ass. or your gauge will stay on full for a long time, then drop quickly after that. If you google this type of swap there are a few articles on how to do all of this.
    David ???

Does anyone know if a YJ tank will fit in a CJ?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Dimension wise it should fit, but with the fill on the opposite side, I don't think that it is worth the effort. You either have to change the tank or change your Jeep.

Also I have had experience with a larger tank than the sending unit realizes, it does not stay on full, but rather rolls down to what it thinks is empty and you still have the difference. EX 15G sending 20 gal tank the gauge reads full at 20, half at 12.5 and empty at 5 remaining.

• I did a search and found out that it won't fit. The 20 gallon tank is too wide apparently. One guy said he filled the tank with water and heated it with a propane heater (salamander type I guess) before smashing it in. I couldn't pull up the pics from work.

EDIT; Got this from another forum:

there are two versions of 15 gallon though and only the earlier one will fit between CJ frame rails.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Edited once, last by Slimer ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!