Rusty's lift kits?

• Anyone know anything about Rusty's lift components? Haven't heard of them before but Adam's Jeep in MD pushes them pretty good.

• Their springs are softer than RE (but they'll also sag faster). The rest of the hardware is iffy, though. skid plates and such are fine (I use their XJ tow hook brackets), but trackbars and similar products seem to snap at inopportune moments and their customer service is very iffy so I wouldn't buy anything breakable unless Adam's will do the warranty mess for you. There are a lot of complaint posts on the NAXJA board. Zeke had a 6" rustys short arm kit, and its down to 4" or so. I'm not sure how old the lift is, though. If they could get some good lifetimes out of their springs, I'd use them in a RE longarm kit.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• they are cheap and not really complete, that is why they use them.

• I run Rusty's 8'' on my XJ. Actually, my springs are to stiff if you ask me. Supposed to be 8'' and it's almost 11'' in the rear and 9'' and some change in the rear. Over 12k later they're still just as stiff as ever. As it comes to hardware the kit came complete and instructions were clear. I've spoken with Rusty himself in the past and they've assisted fine with any problem I've run into. For a bolt on kit I don't think it's to to bad. The Trac Bar was junk (everyone knows that), but if you're on a budget it's no so bad. Then again this is all on an XJ. TnT Customs will be my next approach for a lift.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

• I would go Rubicon Express over Rusty's. Call or email Bob Supplee at (405) 799-8977 or supplee4wd@sbcglobal.net for Rubicon Express prices. I bet his price for a more complete Rubicon Express kit will be almost the same or cheaper than a complete Rusty's kit.

I have a Rusty's track bar and other components and I hate them. I was told by Rusty himself the track bar would work with two inches of lift but it was too long without enough adjustment at the frame end. After struggling to get it on with the axle a bit off center the curve in the bar was no good so that on large sudden bumps, think pot holes, it would bang against my diff cover. Sucks! I recently added another inch of lift, the length is good now but the tie rod end was so beat up form being installed off center that I had to source a new one with better adjustment. I ended up having to source an end by cross referencing parts to get the right setup, Rusty's could offer an acceptable solution.

I can say I love my Old Man Emu kit, the shocks and srings are great and ride better than stock at two inches. I recently added an inch coil up front and a JKS 1" shackle rear and it still rides just as good if not better. I also have JKS adjustable lower control arms, swaybar disconnects and bar pin eliminators and use to have one of their YJ sliding track bars all of which are great components with excellent build quality. I recommend OME and JKS parts all the way, they may be more expensive but fewer hassles is well worth the extra coin to me.

Try dpgoffroad.com for OME stuff and Bob Supplee again for JKS. Good Luck!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!