DEJA Long Distance trip... UWharrie. June 20-22 2008

• I picked the weekend of June 21-22 for this... This weekend is right after the "Summer Solistice" so we'll have the most daylight of any weekend of the year.

Lacking any negative input, I picked Uwharrie as the primary location for the event. There should be enough trails to keep us busy, and we can relax at the lake at night. Tellico has some trail closures and wouldn't be as nice for a weekend thing.

Uwharrie is 8 hours from northern DE. Due to the distance involved, I'm taking off work on the 20th and 23rd. I'll drive down on the 20th, we can play all day on the 21st and the 22nd is free to either wheel more or drive home. I'll be either playing more or fixing broken stuff and then take my time driving home on the 23rd.

If you're interested in the trip, post up here: http://www.delawareja.com/forum/index.php?topic=18614

Campground info added
    Uwharrie has a few campgrounds inside the official National Forest areas, so there are a couple options. http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/r…wharrie/camping_links.htm The Badin Lake Group Camp looked promising, you can have a bunch of people per site, but only 10 vehicles! Definately not an option.

The regular Badin Lake Campground has smaller sites for 1-8 people and 2 vehicles each for $12/night. some sites have the lake to your backs, so should be nice there. *** I booked site # 11 here for June 20th-23rd. https://www.recreation.gov/cam…73840&agency=NRSO&chkAg=y Showers, bathrooms and drinking water are available, but no RV hookups.

The Arrowhead campground has small sites for 1-8 people and 2 vehicles each for $12/night, but 1/4mi from the lake. Also has a couple double size sites for up to 16 people and 4 vehicles for $24/night.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Edited once, last by whatevah ().

• What kinds of trails are run here? scenic ones or technical ones? or both?

both places have very easy and very hard trails, so to answer "both". You'll find more 2wd areas at Uwharrie as its a National Forest with a variety of recreation activities and has more roads as a result. Currently, Uwharrie offers a wider selection of 4x4 trails, since there are trail closures in effect this year at Tellico.

Uwharrie info... http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/uwharrie/ (take a look around, several campgrounds in the forest!) http://www.sfwda.org/trails/uwharrie/index.htmlhttp://www.cnc4x4.org/trails/uwharrie_tr.htm

Tellico info... http://www.sfwda.org/trails/tellico/index.htmlhttp://www.tellico4x4.com/tellico-info-main.php

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• A good initial response in the signup thread! I'll giive it until Wednesday and lock in a date. Post up now if you have a serious issue with the current date!

Jerry / Whatevah

• ok, no objections posted, so lets consider the date locked. I got approval for my vacation days!

Jerry / Whatevah

• I posted a link to the campgrounds in the first post, and made a reservation at the campground right on the lake. :) Plenty of sites available, too.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Sup guys, i heard you all are taking a trip to nc in june, sign me up.

I post over on Keystone where this was cross posted so i figure id post up here.

Name is Shane and i am from maryland, i drive a highly modified Gmc Jimmy full size. here is a pic of it in its current state...

Finishing up some work and ill be ready shortly. If anyone wants to meet up along 95 and then head down lemme know. Ill be towing a deckover and that beast.

Thanks!

• To wet your appetites... Here are some photos of the staff of FabFours playing around at Uwharrie. http://flickr.com/photos/10039…7/sets/72157603319077403/

Jerry / Whatevah

• Oh yeah! 8 guys with reserved campsites already. Should be a fun trip, I'm gonna bring a cooler with a bit of burgers/hotdogs/etc.

Jerry / Whatevah

• well, you don't have to... but we're using designated campsites near showers, water, and bathrooms. Plus, we can leave the tow rigs and trailers there.

Jerry / Whatevah

• i didnt know you had to reserve camp sites, when i went you just pulled off at a spot off the trail and set up your tent, had fire pits and everything set up.

Yup, ditto on what he said. We were on quads but pretty much there were no rules. You rode all day, drank beer, and when you were done you picked out a spot and set up camp. It was NOTHING like the over regulated lands we have around here. I never saw a person of authority the two days I spent there.

• well it was nice where we stayed, at the point of the trail where we stopped there was a big area you could park your tow rig and trailer, and drive up the trail about 100 ft and there were about 5 camp spots, still only about a minute or 2 from bathrooms etc. but the part about the beer, not a good idea, we went there and the troopers came and gave out 150$ fines to each person who had an alchoholic beverage in their hand....from what i hear its not very common, just a bit of bad luck we came upon. hopefully i can make it, best wheeling ive ever experienced

• even with the crazy gas prices, the ride is still on. *bump*

Jerry / Whatevah

• Any info for people wanting (or needing) to stay in concrete tents? I did some poking around but the closest seemed to be ~25-30minutes away.

I'm a definite maybe but it looks like it'll be with a 231 in my heep as AA looks to have a pretty substantial lead time on the tcase I want.

--Ian

• Any info for people wanting (or needing) to stay in concrete tents? I did some poking around but the closest seemed to be ~25-30minutes away.

I'm a definite maybe but it looks like it'll be with a 231 in my heep as AA looks to have a pretty substantial lead time on the tcase I want.

--Ian

I'll do some research after I get home tonight.

Jerry / Whatevah

• bump!

Jerry / Whatevah

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!