Need a little advice

• now that i have finished my trans and t-case project and have the sye in im moving on to the next project which is going to be putting a new roll cage on the jeep and getting new seats... i have been looking allot all over the internet trying to find the best cage, money is an object, and strength... i got an offer from a friend who works at a welding shop to have a custom cage built for me for around 600.00... he would use dom tubing, and make it a 4x4 cage i think 14 peaces in all... this would be a serious cage... however i dont think i need all of that and also dont have the time to lend my jeep to the shop... they want this to be their first yj for a production seires so they want the jeep for 3-4 weeks!... insted im looking at something like this...

MORE yj off roadbolt in sport cage
    http://www.mountainoffroad.com/more.htm

or

poison spyder trail cage
    https://www.spydercustoms.com/index2.php

or

something like this
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors…2&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

i like the idea of the bolt on kit... that way i can do it... however im shakey on how strong this will actally be... and if the bars on the left and right side will interfear with my half or full doors...

so what do u have and how much was it?
    pros?
    cons?

• This has long been something I've been contemplating as well. A buddy of mine got the Rockhard one for his LJ (bolt on), and that thing is sturdy. The amount of crawling around and prying/pushing/pulling you have to do strengthens it because of the pressures. If you want to really ensure it's sturdiness, make sure to get the frame tie-ins. I'm going to be getting the exact same cage as him, and eventually I'll weld everything together. When I get good enough, I'll build my own at my own pace as well. BTW, he has the full bolt on cage, and it doesn't interfere with his full doors.

• for the rockhard? let me ask him. If you call, I think he said they'll give you a better price. Don't quote me though, he got screwed over on his rocker guards, so I think they hooked him up.

• i dont see that beaing very strong.... im sure it is but for that price i can have one hell of a welded cage using the poison spyder cage and some extras... they bold it to the jeep through the 3 dash dolts and looks like another fron the windshelid hindge?.... i wnat it to the floor to reinforce it...

• Right, but ask for bolt on, receive bolt on. If you said you definitely wanted to weld one in, I woulda told you to go to your buddies shop :)

Only reason that I could say it was strong was because I helped put it together, doing all the swinging and such on it to screw with it. Kinda like when you put on a new bumper or lift.

• Talk to Zach at A to Z Fab. http://www.atozfabrication.com

i agree with quantum. call zach. he did my cage in the tj. I never got the chance to try it out but i knew i could trust it.

a cage is a safety feature. i would not trust someone's "prototype" or a bolt in design over a custom built professionally welded cage. Ask Ian. he has tested his a couple times.

• I checked out the A to Z one. I like it. Do you think he'd put a harness bar in too? I've never worked with the guy, so I don't know how flexible his company is.

• Totally custom shop. He'll do whatever your willing to pay for :laughing:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• when she starts yelling just turn to her and say...

"its a jeep thing you WOULDENT understand" and then dont say anyhting else....

i think im going to go with poison spider customs... and get it welded with rear spreader bars and grab handles.. still not sure

• Zach's weld-in shippable cage is the way to go if you have access to someone who welds..... there are many arguements about the poison spyder cage on line..... just use google... if you want a product with no questions about it's strength buy a cage like zachs weld in cage... or support a local business and give your money to him.....

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!