Transmissions

• Does anyone know if a 2006 rubicon 6-speed (i don't know the transmission model #) is interganchable with any other trans say maybe a NV3550 or ax15 i know the ax15 has a internal slave but other then that are the input shafts the same.

• Yes they are, the 94 and up manual transmissions all had external slave cylinders.

i put a brand new 6 speed (Mercedes Benz nsg-370) in my 99 TJ which had the AX-15 a few months ago. It's the same length and i did not need to cut any input shafts to make the T-case bolt up.

You need to do a few things to make it work correctly and it cost me.
    New Center Console, New floor pan cover under console, had to use the Hesco Crank Sensor Relocation Kit, needed some metric hardware because the 5 speeds use standard. also had to do a little grind work on the T-case linkage bracket that bolts to the trans (easy project).

You deff save a lot of weight using the 6 speed as its all aluminum unlike the 5 speeds which are half steel and aluminum. i would say its a good 50 plus pounds, i needed a trans jack to take out the ax15 and put the 6 speed in by hand its so light. :up: :up:

check these out.

http://www.quadratec.com/produ…php?kw=52160&submit=Go%21

• Thanks for the info, the problem we are having (firends jeep) is that his 6 speed is now a 2.5 speed with about 50,00 miles on it. so he is looking for the most cost efective and durable swap to put in it's place. but of the quadratech site i would have to say he should stick with the 6 speed.

• the problem we are having (firends jeep) is that his 6 speed is now a 2.5 speed with about 50,00 miles on it.

I am hearing that more and more with the NSG370 trans. From what I am seeing, 40,000 is the norm, 50,000 is good.
    Mine should be going soon too. :bang:

• I am hearing that more and more with the NSG370 trans. From what I am seeing, 40,000 is the norm, 50,000 is good.
    Mine should be going soon too. :bang:

wow, i've never hear of one breaking....good thing these have a 3 year 36k mile warranty...it was clunky at first but got really smooth once i changed the fluid the first time.

we have the last 5 brand new 6-speeds in stock here in west chester then mopar is going to switch to reman units and add $500 to price.

• Thanks for the info, the problem we are having (firends jeep) is that his 6 speed is now a 2.5 speed with about 50,00 miles on it. so he is looking for the most cost efective and durable swap to put in it's place. but of the quadratech site i would have to say he should stick with the 6 speed.

FYI, you can get the parts to rebuild that transmission from mopar and us you know.

• how dificult is it, i looked into rebuilding my nv3550 a while back and it looked to be more hastle then it's worth. is the 6 speed better to deal with?( i am very mechanically inclined.)

• i think these are much simpler, get your hands on the Parts Fiche and Factory Service Manual. I'm pretty sure you can buy them at the dealer.

Just a bunch of snap rings and stuff. Sure its like a really long time consuming SYE conversion....lol

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!