CJ Dash Conversion

• I'm looking to do a CJ Dash Conversion to my '93 YJ. I have been searching every Jeep Forum that I can think of and have done numerous online searches with little to no luck. What I am looking for is if anyone has a link to a pretty detailed write-up on how to do it. I'm in the shopping list mode and want to make sure I have everything I need before getting started. Also, it doesn't hurt to have a "guide" to go by while performing the swap.

On a side note, I'm on the fence with doing the traditional gauges vs. upgrading to digital. Are their any recommendations/concerns/opinions on one vs the other? Is their a specific brand of gauges that is better than another?

TIA for any assistance... :help:

Oops... I accidently put this in the wrong place. :bang: Could a Moderator please relocate this thread to it's proper home? :innocent:

• i have done the swap in my 93 YJ. it is not as easy as you would think. if you switched to digital gauges it would make things A LOT easier. dont have a write up, just made scribbled down wire colors and used a volt meter to verify things.

heater controls can be very simple...or a PITA. im my case all i really have is heat. i took all the cables off and only hooked up the fan switch. if i want vent, ill take off the doors or open the top. i am going to make a new dash bezel to cover where the factory heat controls were. i just picked up a new headlight switch and will be hooking that up this weekend. right now i just have a toggle switch/relay for on/off and tied the headlights and parking lights together.

i would find a dash with a CJ wiring harness. you will use that for its connectors. tap it into the YJ harness and you are set. fuel gauge is a different setup on YJ versus CJ so i added a standard fuel gauge and bypassed the one on the gauge cluster (digital would solve that problem) and want to play with the temp gauge some (should be able to use a CJ temp sensor instead of the YJ)

• One of the big issues is with the defrost ducts.
    The CJ defrost through the windshield while the Yj uses the front dash

• One of the big issues is with the defrost ducts.
    The CJ defrost through the windshield while the Yj uses the front dash

that is an easy fix

you can wedge about 4 sheets of paper towel between the VIN plate and the wiper motor. it doesnt blow out with the wind.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!