YJ progress...and trailer fun

• Ed and I spent a couple hours Sun and last night working on the '89 so that we can get it out of my garage and start the teardown on the MJ. The guy I'd bought the YJ from had done a half-arsed shackle reversal when swapping in the waggie 44's....the front axle was positioned too far rearward, the shackle was almost totally collapsed, and the front spring eyes weren't the "correct" distance from the frame.

We fabbed some new hangers from some plate and 2x2 box reinforcements. Ed spent a good amount of time trying to un-ghetto the front framerails. Once the old hangers were removed and the "custom" frame reinforcement plates were ground somewhat flush I buzzed on the new mounts. After fighting with the axle a bit to get everything lined up we were amazed how much better the thing looked with the axle sitting in the correct location and the YJ level. To finish up the front we made a new "bumper"...in other words took a piece of 2x4x.25 box and securely welded it to the frame :laughing: :laughing:

Now that any welding involving the frame's done it goes to Ed's house...right Ed? :rasp: :laughing:

The rest of the day Sunday I spent grinding and painting the trailer that I picked up off of Alan...looks much better now :rollsmile: After blowing through 3 flapwheels and half a dozen cans of rust converting primer it got the Krylon Touch (tm) :spinrhead: :laughing: C'mon guys...you knew I couldn't go _too_ long without spraypainting _something_ :laughing: Now that it's presentable it's gonna get some surgery of its own...picking up a new axle for it to remedy the questionable bearings and get rid of the drop...then gonna go SOA. :suspicious: Found a home for the leftover TrXus' once I get another pair of 767's. :laughing: It should sit about level with the TJ once it grows up...

--Ian

• Quote from "1TonTJ"

sweeeet come awwnnnnn you know we need pics!!!!

I'll snap a couple when I get home...it was too dark when we finished last night. Plus I don't know that I want a photographic record of the rails that I welded the new hangers to...even after cleaning it up. :laughing: :laughing: Seriously...the "custom" steering box brace that's welded to the pass. framerail and the steering box. :doh: Not to mention the sewerpipe grille stabilizers...complete with threads! If I hadn't been able to recoup the purchase price just selling the extra parts the YJ would still be in PA :rolleyes:

--Ian

• Yo...Easy on the ghettofabulous YJ. It cant help it if the previous owner had good intentions but bad methods of achieving them. She ought to be real prurrty when she gets the Krylon bomb treatment. HeHe... :folded:

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• This ones gonna need more than a rescue...perhaps some miracles are in order....Im praying to the jeep gods.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!