91 YJ Shutting Down. Please Help!

• http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Art…and_Sync_Pulse_Stator.htm Don't rule out the CAM position sensor either. I went through an intermittent cut off just like you are going through and mine turned out to be that. Fully expect the parts counter morons to insist that there is no cam position sensor and you will most likely have to do what I did. I took the sensor off in the parking lot and tossed it on the counter and told the guy "Go find me one of these then." I believe the guy at NAPA was calling it a stator pick-up but long story short, no more cut out problems in over two years. Good luck.

• http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Art…and_Sync_Pulse_Stator.htm Don't rule out the CAM position sensor either. I went through an intermittent cut off just like you are going through and mine turned out to be that. Fully expect the parts counter morons to insist that there is no cam position sensor and you will most likely have to do what I did. I took the sensor off in the parking lot and tossed it on the counter and told the guy "Go find me one of these then." I believe the guy at NAPA was calling it a stator pick-up but long story short, no more cut out problems in over two years. Good luck.

Ya most call it a ingnition pick up or distributer pick up, I allways forget about that one till Im looking at the vehicle.

• An ingnition pick up or distributer pick up, whichever it's called, what would be the cost of the part. I would like to get an idea of the cost if the CCS doesn't solve the problem?

There is nothing that can't be fixed if you throw enough money at it,

• From what I'm being told is that if it were the distributor pick up, most likely it would run OK until it warmed up. As the pick up got warmer the problem gets worse.

From a dead cold, mine cut off while idling within 60 sec.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and find out tonight!

Thanks, John

• That it true in most electronic sensors, they eather fail hot or cold, but I was thinking if it was your distributer pick up your tach should still be working.

• It was the cam sensor after all. I replaced the crank sensor and it still stalled within 60 seconds. I gave mike a call to ask his opinion and boy did he come through. Not only did he come down to Delaware to walk me through how to change out the cam sensor but also brought his OBD I diagnostic scanner and a used but working cam sensor with him.

Mike,
    I can't thank you enough. To come down on the spur of the moment to help me out. W o W! It really says a lot about your character. I have always tried to live by the same philosophy by helping people when I was able. It came back around this time. I enjoyed talking with you and would enjoy your help this weekend with the lift project if your willing. Your always welcome to stop by. I'll be in contact with you as soon as the lift comes in.

Thanks again,
    John

• thank you I apprecate that...its a jeep thing... hahahaha, I'm always willing to lend a hand when I can... just glad its up and running now..and hopefully that sensor will keep you going for some time till you can get a new on in there... glad I could help, talk to you soon Mike

• Ya but what happend to yours is not that common on an unmolested harness but allways possable. On a side note have you gotten a chance to put some miles on it yet Slimer?

Yeah it's running fine now. I'm redoing the light bar so it's back in the garage but I drove it to and from work for a week or so and it's fine. Thanks

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• happy to hear you got it fixed, looks like I need to look at the wiring diagram before I say it cant be the came sensor if the tach isn't working.

• No, No, The tach was working the whole time. They told me to watch the tach while CRANKING the motor to see if it moves. It didn't move while cranking but after she was running it worked fine. Thanks for your input, It was much appreciated. Without any diagnostic tools it was an educated guess.

I now have the pleasure of knowing that I have rebuilt my electronics system, minus two sensors, by throwing parts at it.
    If you throw enough money at any problem, you can fix it ! L O L !

Thanks, John

• happy to hear you got it fixed, looks like I need to look at the wiring diagram before I say it cant be the came sensor if the tach isn't working.

no the computer dosen't send a tach single to the tach till the engine reachs over 350-400 rpms

• Just when I thought it was over and everything was running smooth...

She cut out on me twice this morning on the way to work. But this time the motor was running smooth with no problems. It cut out on me when I went over railroad tracks and when I hit a big bump. This sounds like it might be a loose or broken wire somewhere. I think I'll play hell trying to find this one.

Could there be another possibility?

John

• well it could be easy, but probably not. You are going to have to figure out what you are loosing causing it to shut off. I may be able to help over the weekend, let me know.

• Thanks Dan,
    I replaced the fuel pump and sending unit 1 week ago. New from Quadratec. 200.00 bucks. Anything else it could be.

Let me restate what I have replaced...

ECM New / Christiana auto parts 325.00
    Fuel pump/sending unit New / Quadratec 200.00
    Crank sensor New / Christiana Auto Parts 69.00
    Coil,Cap,roter,wires,plugs New / Christiana Auto Parts 82.00
    Cam Sensor Used / Omegatheway N/C

Omegatheway also brought his OBD I and looked at all sensors while running. 2 Days ago they were all running within specs. With bad shocks and flat springs, I hit hard when I hit a bump but it still shouldn't crap out.

There aren't may sensors left to replace. TPS IAT MAP are all I can think of. TPS is the only one I can think of that might effect this.

Any suggestions?

John

Edited once, last by jonzjeepyj ().

• A bad TPS will usually cause a stumble or hesitation, not the vehicle to shut off. Is it acting up constantly now or did it just do it those 2 times. If you can repeat the problem easily it will be much easier to figure out. Now you need to find out if it is loosing spark or injector pulse or both when it shuts off and then narrow down what systems control the part that you are loosing.

• After lightly tapping and wiggling wires under the hood, I found the culprit. It is a loose fuse harness for the ECM relay. I will have to take it apart and tighten things up tonight in my garage. While the motor was running at idol, if you wiggled the ECM relay ever so slightly, the motor would cut out.

I can't believe I found it that quick.

John

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!