Manual and manuevering the beach

• Thanks again to all - Ran this weekend (Sunday) before the big rain and definitely had an easier time... The larger tires really seemed to make a difference and i did not air down at all but I also felt like I was on top of the sand more than plowing it...

I did turn off ESP since I was running in 4 HI and used 2 & 3rd gears and didn't want any slip to engage the brakes - am guessing that is the correct approach.

The sand seemed more packed with the rain that had come through earlier in the weekend.

• I run 25psi and 3rd gear in 4 lo and haven't had any problems anywhere yet with stock tires on an 07. I don't shift on the sand.

• As Keith said, 4 low is easier on the drive train. It's really not a momentum issue. It's a rolling resistance issue. It's harder for the engine to turn the tires on the sand which is why the motor will bog down if your in too high of a gear.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• momentum never hurts. plus its more fun.

*bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*<br /><br />&quot;Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. <br />One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.&quot;

• 4 low 3rd gear start 33's 30psi let er eat! never been stuck on the beach, never had a problem with 4 low or having to air down.

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88&#039;s, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25&quot; BL, 33&quot; BFG A/T&#039;s, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• heck if you are only dropping to 25psi in a jeep you are not getting the bulge in the tire you need to make a wider footprint. most street pressure should be withing 25 and 30 psi. the jeep is to light to run full rated pressure on the tires. you are suposed to regulate street pressure according to the contact patch on the tire which is driven by th eweight of the jeep.

we have have to air down the JK this year and we run 35x 12.50s. the beach has just been so soft this year. we run 4lo 2nd gera for the most part and about 12 psi

• I'm running 35psi on the street.... i've got stock tires and that's what the door sticker and Jeep recommed with stock '07 tires. Like i said... on the beach I air down to 25psi and have never been stuck or bogged down. With 35" tires i can't imagine why on earth you'd need to air down at all. hell, your foot print at street pressure is more then mine aired down and I have no problems.

I've been on most of the del. beaches this year.

• I like to run 10-12 lbs int he sand, not because I need to, but b/c its much more fun driving that way, THe Jeep handles , and accelerates and just rolls along much easier.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I like to run 10-12 lbs int he sand, not because I need to, but b/c its much more fun driving that way, THe Jeep handles , and accelerates and just rolls along much easier.

No but seriously that's what I usually do, it makes for a much better ride.

• must say I got a kick out of this thread. It's a little late but the weight has a big part of it all. When it was just me and my wife I could run the stock tires with no probleme just slightly aired down. Now with the kid and a bunch of stuff the 12.50's aired down give me trouble at times. I like 4 hi. 4lo seemed to make the jeep run hotter.

• That's mean, sorry, but seriously, some people don't belong out there, one guy last summer, got stuck, got pulled out, got stuck again, wasn't in 4wd didn't air down, no tow rope, then cuaght a skate and looked it flapping around didn't know what to do, I had to go over and take it off for him, guess where he was from....I'll give you a hint he was no Delaware boy..

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!