what years 4.0 engine for TJ

• Need to swap out 4 banger for a 4.0 in my 02 TJ. What years and models will work ? Will my existing Auto Trans work?

• any year block will work, what you need to do is to cut the 4banger mounts off the frame and move them up to the 4.0 spots, I moved mine 4 1/4 inces forward

When i did some reserch into swaping my 2.5 for a 4.0 the frame mounts for the engine do NOT need to be moved. This is only true as far as i know for TJ's
    You will need to change transmissions, also change transfer cases unless you can find a junk tcase frome a 6cyl setup and pull the input gear.

• is your jeep modded? what is your reason for the swap, most people will say if its stock and low miles, trade it in/sell it and buy one with a 6cyl, its hardly worth the headache, right now you could steal a nice TJ sport/sahara.

The thing is, I doubt your doing this swap on a stock vehicle, if you are, then definitely just sell it, but if you do have a modded vehicle or any type of lift/tires thats making you hate the 4 cyl because you have stock gears, odds are you are gonna want a stronger axle in the rear.

If you sell/start over, there are sahara's/sport model TJ's that have the D44 stock, (check for metal drain plug on pumpkin) which would be a much better base to start with rather then ripping engines out and swapping axles, but hey thats just my 2 cents.

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88's, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25" BL, 33" BFG A/T's, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88's, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25" BL, 33" BFG A/T's, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• When i did some reserch into swaping my 2.5 for a 4.0 the frame mounts for the engine do NOT need to be moved. This is only true as far as i know for TJ's
    You will need to change transmissions, also change transfer cases unless you can find a junk tcase frome a 6cyl setup and pull the input gear.

really, i know for a fact that in the yj's the motor mounts must be moved, but i was under the impression that you had to do the same for the TJ, you can do it without moving them forward, but the angle between the t-case output and rear axle will be extreme. i guess it depends... i will have my swap done before the end of feb. im swapping an 01 tj 4.0 into a 92 yj

• TJ's dont need to have mounts moved. I have done lots of reserch and have gone to the extent of getting frame measurements. They do not need moved on a tj. other models i am not sure about!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!