Removing Factory Lettering

• I just got a 2009 four dour, traded in my 04 Rubicon and wanted to know if anyone knew how to remove the factory letters from the side of the vehicles. I was thinking heat gun but i don't want to screw up the paint. I want to take off the unlimited and the big ugly a$$ X part and just leave JEEP on the side of the vehicle. Thanks for any ideas.

• I just got done taking some vinyl lettering off mine last weekend.
    You can pretty much just peel it off if it's not could out from the heat of the sun...

Given it's February, that's not gonna happen... I used a heat gun because it was handy.
    A hairdryer is probably better to keep you from jacking it up, but a heat gun is fine if you are careful.

Just don't cook the thing... it's only to make it "warm" not hot... just need to soften it...

• Heat it up like Paco said. I've done it plenty of times using a hair dryer and it works perfect. It'll get soft and peel right off. Then wipe over it with alcohol or something to take the sticky crap off if there's any left. :wavey:

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• Use a hair dryer to get them loose then peel off with your fingers. Make sure that you keep the dryer moving and dom't hold it to close. Then hit it with a good wax and it'll look like it was never there.

• Does this apply to "pinstripes" as well? My wife is driving me crazy about the factory "design". She wants them gone

• I just did mine not too long ago. Took off the Wrangler 4.0L and the Sahara decal. Can't even tell. :wavey: Oh and the goo gone works great too. I used that when I debadged my XJ.

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

Edited once, last by Diablo ().

• You can even use oven cleaner as well. If you're going for a total debadge ( trail rated symbol, etc.) the double sided stick tape stuff, you can use fishing line to get most off then use the above methods

• if you have a steady hand, windex and razor blade is simple, quick and great for stuff like lettering, pin striping, and the damn dealer logos. Doesn't work so well if the sticker is larger.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!