4.0 Motor swap

• Well I was able to get a lot done today
    90% of the engine harness connected. :up:

looks like I ran into a snag I do not have any of the trany or T case wiring ant it is different than mine. :cmon:

I need to call him to see if he can ship it out to me.

Edit: I got up with Phill and he will try to pull the fuel / tranny harness tomorrow then send it to me.

• sounds like its not going to bad Joe have to had the chance to start putting the little stuff back on like the radiator and the plugs wires cap rotor and all the likes. trust me that is a full days work in its self....anyway seems like it is coming along real well

• hey chris wheres the pics from this weekedn I was going to show somwone the pics of the motor mount install and found out I didnt have any of them painted. did you get any of the painted moved mounts

• Quote from "Da Mutt"

hey chris wheres the pics from this weekedn I was going to show somwone the pics of the motor mount install and found out I didnt have any of them painted. did you get any of the painted moved mounts

here's the pics...sorry, i was having issues getting them uploaded. i get nowhere with our current stuff, photobucket was giving me grief...and imagestation was being quirky. they should work now though!

Joe's folder on Imagestation

• thanks chris this is what I was looking for

I was tring to explain to one of the guys at work that has a porsche 911 that he modifies and road races. He was getting the impression that we were some hack jobs or some thing I just wanted to show him that some good old red necks can do some quality work.

• Well I havew been tied up the last few days working on the
    wiring. A true PITA.
    but I believe the main harness and tranny conector is now done. :lie:

Tomorrow morning I wll be putting the wire harness on the Jeep.

• Well this is my morning report.

Engine wire harness in place. The computer on and plugged in.
    I set the NP208 in place to see what modifications may be needed.
    Looks like very few some linkage differences and I may need to put a spacer under the tanny mount.. :hmm:

Oh Well!
    back to work I hope to start with the body panels later today.

• I got a lot done today.

Wiring is now complete :rollsmile:
    All Vac lines hooked up
    put on my front shocks....... Boy they are purdy. :grin:
    Got started on the exhaust...... Need a mufler
    working on the tranny mount / np208

Things left to do
    Tranny lines
    Fuel lines
    Drive shaft
    All body panels
    Raidiator
    Fluid check

• Sounds like you got your holiday weekend full of things to do. I'll hopefully have mine back on the road tomorrow or Monday. I have to fill it with fluids, put the valve cover on, install the battery and starter, and a few other things I may have forgotten about.

Whoever designed the intake and exhaust manifolds for the in-line 6 was a WHACK JOB! What a P.I.A.! The oil pan and gaskets are also a royal pain!

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• When youre doing an oil pan gasket, Ive found it easier to use a little RTV to tack the gaskets in place on the pan before trying to lift it up with 4 separate gaskets trying to hold them in place. You can also run bread ties through them to hold them in the general area to at least get a couple bolts started. when youve got at least 3 bolts started on each side of the pan, pull the bread ties out. At least its not an oil pan on an S-10. I did one at the shop the other day, the front differential has to come out, to get that out, the halfshafts have to come out, which means all the ball joints have to come apart, the steering linkages have to come off the pitman and idler arms, the steering box unbolted from the frame and the steering shaft disconnected, took me about 8 hours start to finish, with air tools and the truck on a lift. I guess sometimes you gotta let those little leaks go.

• Quote from "scramblejim"

When youre doing an oil pan gasket, Ive found it easier to use a little RTV to tack the gaskets in place on the pan before trying to lift it up with 4 separate gaskets trying to hold them in place. You can also run bread ties through them to hold them in the general area to at least get a couple bolts started....

Beter yet, buy a urathane 1 piece formed gasget. These things work great. About $20.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• That's the way to go! I hate those 4 peice set ups.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I'm working on a few small issues

Extending the tranny lines
    The 4.0 came with 5/16 inch lines the old 2.5 has 3/8 lines.
    well the 4.0 lines were crimped so I transferred my quick discos. over the the new tranny and I am going to run the 3/8 line.

Extending the fuel lines
    This is worrying me some. I need to cut and extend the lines.
    I san do this one of three ways
    1) cut line use rubber line and clamps to extend.
    2) cut lines and extend using hard line and compression fittings.
    3) cut lines and extend using hard line and flair fittings.

What do you think is best. This will be a temprary arrangement until I get my new fuel lines.

Exhaust.
    I am getting a seal to mate the header to the down pipe $12
    I need a muffler

Tranny case
    I drooped the transfer case shift arm off to a shop to have a new hole drilled to fit the link to my stock shifter.
    I also need to swap the yoaks around putting the CV yoak in the rear
    then Mount the Case and hook up the driveshaft

more to come

• Hey Joe I have a full set of fuel line that came out of my yj if you wnat them they are sitting in the side yard come and get them or they go to the trash next week

• Do not cut the hard line and use compression fittings. I dont think that they are rated for such high pressure. I would probably use a rubber line with clamps or make a new hard line all together.

Chris

• If transmission lines use high pressure (like brake lines) then regular compression fittings will blow apart. You could probably use brake line connectors and double flare the ends like brake lines. Of course the best thing would be to run all new line. Any connection is a potential leak or weak spot and you want to minimize them.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!