why did my horn blow?

• Yesterday morning, my 07 JK horn started going off while it was sitting in the driveway. I ran out and started it (the only thing I could think of) and it stopped. A few minutes later it went off again so I disconnected the horn. It was a dewey morning and a lot of condensation was dripping off the roll bars and everything was damp. The top and doors were off, so could it be that condensation got into the steering column and shorted the horn contacts? Anyone else have this happen?

That brings me to another question- will the interior get damaged if I get caught in the rain with the top down? It never mattered with my CJ7 or my motorcycle. I just don't know how weatherproof newer Jeeps are.

Thanks,
    Sam

• Just depends on how much you like the new car smell versus a swamp smell. If it were me I'd try to keep the weather out as much as possible. :shrug:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Sometimes after a hard rain I come out to my TJ and the radio is on and playing. (Reminds me of the movie Christine). Its kinda of wierd but im asssuming the same thing is happening with your horn. After it dries out its usually fine. You should look into a rain gear cover, if your going to keep the top and doors off. As for damaging your interior. It will get sun faded if left out too much, and your carpet with stay wet for a while causing the "swampy" smell. Other than that I doubt it will hurt much although i did fry a turn siganl fasher once after a hard downpour. I removed my carpet and keep the drain plugs open, as im lazy and hardly ever put my top on in the summer.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• 2x on the Rain gear cover.. Mine is 3 years old and still doing the job. Nice heavy canvas. Use it the entire Spring/summer/and fall. until its time for the soft top again.
    Had to spray Water proofing on it once.

http://www.jeepcovers.com/

They are the only ones that make a CJ8 cover as well. Also like how they cover the door area.. Keeps all that dew out. for sure.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!