GWNF Trail Ride: April 29 - May 1, 2005

• One more note. I also asked about cancellation policy. As long as you cancel by 6PM the day before the reservation you will get back 100% of your money. Some of the other hotels I looked into do not allow you to cancel after your inside of the 30 day mark. :shrug:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• OK I booked as well...

Didn't realize it was such a hike from NJ:
    Total Estimated Time: 5 hour(s) 45 minute(s).
    Total Driving Distance: 307.50 miles.

Hopefully I can meet up with you guys Saturday Morning, and follow you to the trailhead. I would imagine that by the time I get there Friday night it will be pretty late.

• That's why I booked the room there. Got my bases covered, if it rains or is colder than I'd like (<75 degrees), I got a room, or I can make the camping decision Friday morning!

DrJ

• I just booked mine.......

njjeepthing where in jersey are you coming from??? are you leaving friday morning or afternoon or night??

• I guess it is a good time for a little update on this ride:

A group will be leaving from Delaware Friday AM. Depending on who is in the group, we'll leave from either Dover or somewhere more north. At this point I'll say we're leaving at 9AM Friday morning (subject to change). I'll post for a list of who is leaving from where closer to the date.

The Friday group will drive to Kephart Run (or possibly the river site Paul and Joe scouted). Kephart Run is easy to find, and clearly marked on the highway. These are my basic directions from Delaware:

I-95 to I-495 (Washington Beltway) to 66W (left exit) to 81S (left exit) to 33W (exit 247B) through Harrisonburg to Rawley Springs, about 12 miles. On the other side of Rawley Springs is the entrance to GWNF. Go about two miles in to a stream marked "Kephart Run", the trailhead is on the RIGHT just before the stream. The trail will take you 10-15 minutes in to the campsite. If we aren't at the first big clearing, KEEP GOING!!! There are two more!

Those staying hotels will meet at the Jamisson Inn parking lot at 8:45am Saturday to drive to Kephart together. We will stop at McDormand's store just before we enter the forest to gas up and get food, ice, etc.

We will meet the others at the campsite at 9:30am to break into two groups... stocker and modifieds. As of this post, Alan (1tonTJ) will lead the modifieds, I will lead the stockers. While I am looking at other trails to add to the stocker trip, don't be surprised if it is just the same route as last time. We may combine the groups at first to do Dry Run (river crossings!) just so we have a couple of winches available (depending on weather and water depth...don't be skeer'd).

We'll likely ride until dusk and get back to the campsite around 5:00 or so, hang out a bit, and then the hotel group can leave when they want, you'll all know your way by then, it's easy.

Same drill for Sunday AM, 9:30am at the campsite for a short ride for those interested. We'll leave for home around 2pm.

PLEASE NOTE: Cell phones do not work in the forest!!!!!! CBs only work close range. Make all your arrangements and contacts BEFORE you get into the forest. The times posted will be gospel, and we will leave as soon after 9:30am as possible, meaning as soon as the groups are decided... we're gone! I will post the proposed stocker route prior to that Friday, but conditions in the forest may cause that to change, and I don't have internet access obviously to change the route online. We may make changes that day, if you miss us, you can certainly try the posted route, but don't count on it.

There are maps available for those of you interested in seeing the terrain. My favorite was the DeLorme books for Virginia:

http://www.gpsnow.com/agva.htm

It is available at Walden/Barnes & Noble, etc. The Park Service has National Geographic Maps as well, you'll want this one:

http://www.ngmapstore.com/shop…SubCat=125&iProductID=340

Good enough for now... more to follow!

DrJ

• I found my GPS (i hope it still works) and i found the PC cable for it so i should be able to pull all my w.points off of it and post them up. We still plannin on kepheart for camping?

• Yup, although Paul found a spot nearer the river. My guess is it is where we all stopped to watch that Chevy get towed out of the river. Nice spot if it is open.

You still leading mods, right? If so, post a tentative ride so those interested know what to expect. I thought we might start out all together, cross Dry Run (that's the Chevy spot, right?), and split up sometime after that.

DrJ

• yeah that works for me. do a together run on dry river, the stopping points are big enough for everyone, then split to everything else.

• Quote from "DrJ"

Yup, although Paul found a spot nearer the river. My guess is it is where we all stopped to watch that Chevy get towed out of the river. Nice spot if it is open.

It's a different spot. The Chevy Jetty was further down that road after passing Kephart. This spot is literally right across the street from Kephart. We found it after playing around under the bridge that morning before we left.

• I'm not entirely sure. You'd definitely want to take a few people back and check it out first before driving everyone there, not that it's far. I'm going to guess 8 to 10 tents* with a fire.

*-or, this could be designated as the "snoring area", and have 2 to 3 tents.

• Quote from "wanderlust"

*-or, this could be designated as the "snoring area", and have 2 to 3 tents.

hey now.... i already have my spot picked out.

• Quote from "cj7taz"

njjeepthing where in jersey are you coming from??? are you leaving friday morning or afternoon or night??

I am a little North of you, Trenton/Princeton area. I will be headed South on the NJTP or 295. I am going to try and meet up with the group in Dover at 9am.

Quick question on camping. I am guessing it is primative, no facilities????

• Quote from "DrJ"

Unless you camp with 1TonTJ, it is primitive... he brings a blender.

yeah, but he doesn't mix drinks with it, he just couldn't find a cup that big.

• oh, and could somebody bring a scattergun, tazer, or mace... just in case the locals show up looking for food and women again? Did Julie ever make it home? How about her dog, anyone ever see either of them again?

Thanks,

DrJ

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!